Redundant libraries

U_N_Owen

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I was at the library today to see if I could view the electoral roll register there and no, I'm not stalking anyone well not this time. While I was there I couldn't help noticing that very few people were actually looking at books. There were old men sitting around reading newspapers, odd bods using the computers (a few of them looked like they'd have made great Lobby chat room regs) but It got me thinking, with the information super highway do we really need libraries anymore? What with all the public spending cuts could the council use what little money they have on better things?

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Our libraries have been under real threat here recently and a few were threatened with closure but then saved. Others, however, in smaller towns or larger villages, were actually closed. I see what you are saying - they need staffing, heating and the buildings themselves could be put to many other uses however, here, libraries are not only for the reading and lending of books.

Developments in ICT have meant that reading books is not the only way of gathering information and so on and libraries have had to move with the times and offer more services, including the use of the web. Ours also host group meetings (like parent and toddler ones, etc.) to pay their way. I think the days of libraries only lending books have indeed gone, but I suppose that's progress. As long as people read SOME books as well, I'm happy!

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I was at the library today to see if I could view the electoral roll register there and no, I'm not stalking anyone well not this time. While I was there I couldn't help noticing that very few people were actually looking at books. There were old men sitting around reading newspapers, odd bods using the computers (a few of them looked like they'd have made great Lobby chat room regs) but It got me thinking, with the information super highway do we really need libraries anymore? What with all the public spending cuts could the council use what little money they have on better things?

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Our library has just been refurbished but sadly in my opinion has lost the 'homely' touch. At one time you took you books to the desk. Had a chat with the lady behind the counter. If you could not remember if you have had a book before she would tell you. Now you place your library card on a plate. scan the books you have chosen and that,s it. Automation is taking over our world I,m afraid.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Our library has just been refurbished but sadly in my opinion has lost the 'homely' touch. At one time you took you books to the desk. Had a chat with the lady behind the counter. If you could not remember if you have had a book before she would tell you. Now you place your library card on a plate. scan the books you have chosen and that,s it. Automation is taking over our world I,m afraid.
That's how it is when I use the University library, but I feel that is the best way to serve thousands of people. It's just more efficient and I also appreciate popping in and scanning my own books and taking them away or leaving them there quickly when I have a lot to do in a day. Likewise, I appreciate calling in to the local library where there people serving; alas, they have very little interest in conversing and seem quite miserable at their work! I suppose it depends which libraries we're visiting. I'd prefer a machine to a soulless person every time! :mad:

Back