Price rises.

S

Saphire

Is there no end to the hike up in prices? From gas, :eek:...electricity... :eek:..petrol ...:eek::eek: is nothing safe from huge rises?
Café bars, restaurants, food shops, huge increases...any work needing doing in the home? all at a ridiculous price now, and the reasons given vary from Brexit, short staff, lorry blocking, and obviously...petrol prices.

Example...a new settee, instead of it being in the sale which would be normal this time of year, the price has doubled....oh, and even though it's British made, it wont be delivered till mid March.:rolleyes:

Methinks some people are not only taking the micky, they are also lining their pockets.

BronzeSquirrel

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
This is something that's always gone on. It's not new. Whenever there is a 'crisis' like no rain, too much rain, the price of veg goes sky high and then never comes down. I suspect a lot of it is greed based ploys from the suppliers.

S

Saphire

This is something that's always gone on. It's not new. Whenever there is a 'crisis' like no rain, too much rain, the price of veg goes sky high and then never comes down. I suspect a lot of it is greed based ploys from the suppliers.
I'm sure a minority are lining their pockets at the expense of the majority.
Some will seize on any crisis to make themselves rich.

Another example....quote for new double glazed windows and a door, gone up 2 grand in a couple of years.

D

Deadpool

Inflation has always been on the increase but the recent sudden spike makes it all the more noticeable.
I hear a lot of stories within the building and motor industry that brexit is to blame, others mention covid and a few regarding....china

S

Saphire

Inflation has always been on the increase but the recent sudden spike makes it all the more noticeable.
I hear a lot of stories within the building and motor industry that brexit is to blame, others mention covid and a few regarding....china
Petrol prices soaring to an all time high is the one I keep hearing.
Double glazing firm with on site workroom 2 miles from my house, cites their huge increase on petrol prices.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Inflation comes from when the banks/government "Inflate" the amount of money in circulation.
It has little to do with companies raising prices for profit, it's because the more money there is the less it is worth.
The MMT myth is that inflation can be controlled, it cant without significant interest rate rises, which we cant do as the government, private companies and private citizens are all debt capped.
It a roll over (they kicked the can down the road) from 2008 added to the governments dumb ass idea to lock down the economy for 12 months.

As for petrol prices, the shortage a month ago was caused the the government demanding that E10 fuel was rolled out in all stations on the same day instead of staggering it.

Petrol stations had to empty underground tanks to accomodate this.
So they had 2 weeks of fuel that lasted days because the media hyped "Pumps out of service" and people panicked.
The E10 rollout should have been staggered, but the dumb ass greenies didnt think, as usual.

Add to that E10 was always going to be more expensive as it has more ethanol made from crops we would usually eat.
So the market had to expand, hence more costs.

S

Saphire

Speaking of petrol, prices have soared as mentioned, but the new stuff actually does less mileage, not more, as they have tried to claim.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Speaking of petrol, prices have soared as mentioned, but the new stuff actually does less mileage, not more, as they have tried to claim.
30 years ago a 1600cc car did about 30-35 miles to the gallon easily, even with a 4 speed gearbox.
They have refined engines so much now, much better technology in transmission, tyres and suspension.
But fuel has been watered down with ethanol and cars got heavier due to more "Goodies".
Like Air conditioning in cars, uses a lot of fuel.
So any tech advances we have made have been negated by lower fuel efficiency and added weight due to luxury.

Go back to stripped out cars and pure fuel a 1600cc car today would probably get 70-80 miles to the gallon.

S

Saphire

30 years ago a 1600cc car did about 30-35 miles to the gallon easily, even with a 4 speed gearbox.
They have refined engines so much now, much better technology in transmission, tyres and suspension.
But fuel has been watered down with ethanol and cars got heavier due to more "Goodies".
Like Air conditioning in cars, uses a lot of fuel.
So any tech advances we have made have been negated by lower fuel efficiency and added weight due to luxury.

Go back to stripped out cars and pure fuel a 1600cc car today would probably get 70-80 miles to the gallon.
Ahhh, the cars of old.
My favourite one was my maroon 3litre Ford Capri, it went like the clappers, needed very little money spending on it, and took us all round the country for many years. :cool:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Ahhh, the cars of old.
My favourite one was my maroon 3litre Ford Capri, it went like the clappers, needed very little money spending on it, and took us all round the country for many years. :cool:

Yeah and a Flag Stone or 2 in the boot to stop the ass stepping out in the wet :D
Loved the old Capri's :)

S

Saphire

Yeah and a Flag Stone or 2 in the boot to stop the ass stepping out in the wet :D
Loved the old Capri's :)
Is that how it drove?
I hadn't passed my test back then, but it was the first car we bought after I married...a very long time ago.:D

Back