Overuse of the word 'tragedy'

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Someone at work last night was almost in tears over the England result, saying it was an absolute tragedy because we'd have had an easy game in the semis. Well, I don't know about that, but he kept banging on about it being a tragedy. A disappointment fair enough, but a tragedy? :rolleyes: Anyway, later I got thinking about something father once told me about granddad... He was a POW in Germany. he hadn't been there long but some of them had been prisoners for a good few years. The war was nearing its end because the Allies were closing in, so they expected to be liberated very soon. But the Germans had other ideas. They emptied the camp and marched all the officers to another camp deeper into Germany. British warplanes circling overhead looking for targets, spotted the marching prisoners and mistook them for German troops. Many were killed/badly wounded.
Granddad didn't even get a scratch.
Now think of those POW's, the deprivations they suffered in the prison camp, waiting for years to be free so they could go home to their loved ones, and when the war is almost over they get killed by their own people... Now THAT was a tragedy.

Any tragedies you'd like to share? (not football related :) ) feel free....

Kev45

A beautiful sunset that was mistaken for a dawn.
Reaction score
The tragedy of nurses working 14-hour days without a break due to austerity. Cutbacks in staff, in an NHS starved of funding over 12 years. A 7 million waiting list, nurses using food banks and real term wage cuts and who just voted for the first ever UK-wide nurses’ strike. That shortage leading to OAPs stacked in corridors on trolleys with their bare arses hanging out, no dignity, some losing their lives and not enough nurses to provide the end of life care they deserve and should be entitled to. The right wing press and its mouthpieces turning on overworked nurses like rabid dogs.

Clap for the NHS, clap for the NHS.

That's a tragedy.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The tragedy of nurses working 14-hour days without a break due to austerity. Cutbacks in staff, in an NHS starved of funding over 12 years. A 7 million waiting list, nurses using food banks and real term wage cuts and who just voted for the first ever UK-wide nurses’ strike. That shortage leading to OAPs stacked in corridors on trolleys with their bare arses hanging out, no dignity, some losing their lives and not enough nurses to provide the end of life care they deserve and should be entitled to. The right wing press and its mouthpieces turning on overworked nurses like rabid dogs.

Clap for the NHS, clap for the NHS.

That's a tragedy.

They sat back and allowed OAP's with Covid back into nursing homes.
Where it spread.
They posed "TikTok" dances while the country was locked down, people were losing thier jobs, in some cases thier lives.
I have no sympathy.
The hypocratic oath states "First do no harm".
Yet they did,
I dont clap for the NHS.

They had a job, thats all.

Kev45

Reaction score

Two males bonding over their mutual hatred, how romantic. Let's not forget, though. 100%er denied 1,000s of OAPs died in care homes and repeatedly claimed it was all a government conspiracy to fiddle the figures. :rolleyes:

Kev45

Reaction score
Look up Midazolam ‘Kev’.

You didn't mention "Midazolam" during your year long pandemic rant. You have just agreed with pongy, "100%". Do try and grow a backbone and stop agreeing with people you 100% disagree with just to curry favour with them.:rolleyes:

Kev45

Reaction score
I didn’t mention Midazolam?? Really?? There have been many mentions and I created at least one thread of its one about the subject.
You’ve only been here 11days ‘Kev’, so how would you know what I’ve posted over the last year or two??? Pmsl

Who said I have only been here "11 days"? Do I need your permission to peruse other chatters post history? You should have told me. My profile says November the 2nd btw, so you also can't count, can you (we already know you don't understand statistics). Do you mean on the boards because you certainly don't chat in any of the rooms I go in? You claimed, and I quote (sort of) "It's bullshit 1,000s of OAPs died because not one died in the homes I own". I can find the exact quotes (all 600) if you like? :rolleyes:

Kev45

Reaction score
I don’t own any care homes ‘Kev’, nor do I work in one, if you could read you’d know that I’ve never claimed I do.

And yes I made a mistake, it was meant to say ‘You’ve only been here a month and 11days’ sorry if that wasn’t obvious.

Are you denying that you repeatedly claimed it is lies, x amount of OAPs during the pandemic died, because no one died in care homes you either own or don't? Are you calling me a liar?

Kev45

Reaction score
I denied many died of covid, and still believe that. Many did die’s due to neglect of care, exacerbated by the blanket DNRs that were normalised, without the consent of relatives, and due to the use of Midazolam/morphine cocktails they were given.

You are a liar. Everyone who reads these boards knows that you are a liar. You specifically made the claim it was bullshit because not a single OAP died in the care homes you don't own. I gave you a chance to be honest, just like pongy, and you blew it. A pair of thoroughly shifty characters and best avoided.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Someone at work last night was almost in tears over the England result, saying it was an absolute tragedy because we'd have had an easy game in the semis. Well, I don't know about that, but he kept banging on about it being a tragedy. A disappointment fair enough, but a tragedy? :rolleyes: Anyway, later I got thinking about something father once told me about granddad... He was a POW in Germany. he hadn't been there long but some of them had been prisoners for a good few years. The war was nearing its end because the Allies were closing in, so they expected to be liberated very soon. But the Germans had other ideas. They emptied the camp and marched all the officers to another camp deeper into Germany. British warplanes circling overhead looking for targets, spotted the marching prisoners and mistook them for German troops. Many were killed/badly wounded.
Granddad didn't even get a scratch.
Now think of those POW's, the deprivations they suffered in the prison camp, waiting for years to be free so they could go home to their loved ones, and when the war is almost over they get killed by their own people... Now THAT was a tragedy.

Any tragedies you'd like to share? (not football related :) ) feel free....

Watching what is happening in Yemen, with the Saudis forcing re-location of hundreds of thousands of people.
Added to deaths of 10's of thousands.
Not reported why, we sell Saudi Arabia the weapon sysstems they are using.

Libya, where a "Strong Black Male" now goes on sale for $400 in thier slave markets.
Young girls go for a lot more.
Not reported, why, because we helped bomb it back into a 3rd world country.

Lets not forget all the African countries who used to recieve aid, now with famine being widespread we cant assist them because we are funding Ukraine.
So Hundreds of thousands risk death due to starvation, why, because we wont allow them out of the dark ages by saying "no you cant use coal to generate power".
Which we in the West are using more coal and gas to save ourselves because of the stupid (economically) sanctions on Russian energy, which we are now buying through other countries supplied by Russia, while they make a sizable mark up.

Add to that the idea of "Green".
So Solar panels arent to great in countries where theres a lot of rain and clouds, who would have thunk?
Wind Farms dont work to well when its not windy, which happens a lot in the UK. Who woulda thought it.
Now some EU countries are thinking of banning Electronic vehicles due to thier drain on the power grid.
Finally, people start to realise that EV's dont run on Unicorn Farts and good intentions.

Political stupidity and a propogandist media.
That is tragedy.

Edit spelling sux

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Im waiting for a smart arse answer.
Someone must disagree with me surely.
They do on everything else.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I see your Yemen, Libya etc, and I raise you China. Countless millions have died in that country with their civil wars, cultural revolutions, anti-rightist campaigns etc. And the oppression is still going on to this day. That is a tragedy. :(

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I see your Yemen, Libya etc, and I raise you China. Countless millions have died in that country with their civil wars, cultural revolutions, anti-rightist campaigns etc. And the oppression is still going on to this day. That is a tragedy. :(

I agree, when we introduced opiotes into their country it was one of the worst times in history.
We used it as a way to gain footholds in China.
How may died during that phase of our global trade initiative.

I am in no way belittling the impact of the Communist regime, but we played our part in that to.

Back