Mid-life crisis

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I may be going through a mid-life crisis because I'm considering moving to Corralejo on the island of Fuerteventura. I don't mean the resort centre or the old town where the locals live, or the naturists part! but in the very north by the Dunes National Park. There's a 4 mile stretch of white sand, if you've ever been there you might have seen the two huge hotels on the beach. There are some lovely apartments nearby. When I sell this place I'll have the wherewithal to purchase one. The problem is finding employment to sustain the lifestyle, because my Spanish is awful. Also, I suspect life for Brits living in Europe after Brexit isn't so good. I may still give it a go...
Have you ever wanted to up sticks and go somewhere or been through a mid-life crisis? feel free to share...

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Well that's the stupidest thing I think I've heard. :rolleyes:

Let's start off with all the Spanish demonstrations against tourism making the news in the past few months, let's face it they don't want us there.

When I lived overseas many years ago.... it's fine for a while. You get used to the sunshine ...you get used to the food and it's not too bad. After a while you start to miss a little things like English newspapers and everything else.

So you end up being a Brit trying to flog another Spanish property and there housing market is worse than Irelands. You will lose money like all the rest did.

If you MUST live overseas why not find something like this?

Its only 14k and you can live off the money from the sale of your home.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
But that's what happens with a mid-life crisis... you do stupid things! :D The funny this is... I always said I'd never live in a country where I couldn't speak the language. Perhaps I should just buy a fast sports car... as you do! :) As for mobile homes/static caravans - I wouldn't touch them. You are completely at the mercy of the land owner. But I appreciate your advice.

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
You need a bit of adventure !!!

An old friend of mine decided to repeat the best month of her youth. Like most, she took advantage of the euro rail scheme and saw Europe by rail for a month. Now she's 50 she doing it again.

I did read a book called a year of saying yes which helped me through mine. I'm sure you can find this online

For now the best of advice I can give you to stay put and not spend too much money. If you want to try the whole living in Spain thing you can get a long-term rental over the winter months which don't cost that much. Off the top of my head its about £400 per month?

WildRose

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Spain is not a good country for residents of other countries. They have weird laws wrt contributions to "road works" and will make you pay a lot for that. I know of a couple people who discovered that...

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I bought some weights and an exercise bike.
Trying to get fit as I noticed I got a little flabby.

Moving to Spain, thats not a mid life crisis, thats a full on, feck this I'm out of here.
Location wont change who you are, only you can do that, it matters not if your in rainy England or sunny Spain.

If I was going to up sticks and move, I would find a lighthouse that still needs a human, tried several times, but they keep automating them.
So stuck here until I can get a place on an island no one wants to live on.

Confused_Fred

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
When I had my midlife crisis..... I think the main takeaway I had from it was the stuff I was buying might be the last time I bought it.
With the sailboat I was conscious of the fact that it would have to last until I died. It's the reason why I bought a new one.

Took my retirement plans a lot more seriously and moved from my townhouse in Brighton out to Shoreham beach to a much smaller place. I didn't want to be one of those old men living in a big house on there own that cost of fortune heat that you often see.

I could still go and live overseas but I reached the point now where I'm happy in my ways and I like my life. It takes a while to achieve that ;)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Spain is not a good country for residents of other countries. They have weird laws wrt contributions to "road works" and will make you pay a lot for that. I know of a couple people who discovered that...
And parts of Spain have a thing called 'Land Grab'. They can expropriate your land or even the end of your garden! If they have a need for it.... :eek:

Andrew5556

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah sure LOAR!
I've been thinking about upping sticks and beginning afresh in a new country for a while now.
Gonna research and plan.
Need to leave it all behind and find somewhere I feel that I belong.
Mid fifties and I wish I'd had a mid life crisis,unfortunately for myself its been a whole life crisis!
Worked so hard to give myself the option to move on elsewhere and begin living a different lifestyle.
No idea which country would be good for me.
LOAR! If you brave it and make the move to Fuertaventura and its all good there for you and you're happy,will you please get in touch with me and let me know,I'll pack a bag,jump on a plane and see you there!
P.S. My Mum and Dad have visited Fuertaventura a few times and Mum used to bring plenty of Spanish Fortuna cigarettes home to England.
If you are a smoker!
'DO NOT SMOKE THESE STICKS OF TAR'! (Lethal!!!)
I wish you all the best in your search for a happier life LOAR.
If it feels right and you're able to,
then I say, 'Go for it Lady'!
Nothing ventured-Nothing gained!
If its great LOAR, don't forget me will you!

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
In the end, are you looking for a new life or running from your old one.
Because a lot of people find out that a new place simply means they just spent a sh** ton of money to not change a thing apart from the scenery.

Change how you think before you change where you live.
It's much cheaper and tends not to feck up family.

Back