Manchester United player arrested over rape claim.

S

Saphire

'Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood has been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault following allegations on social media.
Greater Manchester Police said it was made aware of "social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence".
It added "we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault".
He remains in custody for questioning and inquiries are ongoing.
Manchester United earlier said the player would not return to training or matches until further notice.
The club said they "do not condone violence of any kind" and had been made aware of the allegations on social media but would make no further comment until the "facts have been established".
Mason Greenwood has not responded to the social media allegations.
The 20-year-old footballer, who made his debut for the club in March 2019, signed a four-year deal in February 2021 after rising up through the ranks of the United academy."

S

Saphire

His girlfriend, Harriet Robson, has posted pictures online of her battered and bruised face and body, also audio of him abusing her.

She wrote the message "To everyone who wants to know what Mason Greenwood actually does to me"

Having listened to the audio, it looks like his career is finished.

Last edited by a moderator:

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
His girlfriend, Harriet Robson, has posted pictures online of her battered and bruised face and body, also audio of him abusing her.

She wrote the message "To everyone who wants to know what Mason Greenwood actually does to me"

Why have you started a post about a news item that practically everyone is already aware of?
Is this a sideline to the 'Female Experience', which wouldn't surprise me as being the thread that has been allegedly removed from the Forum.
We can all post newsworthy items in here to raise a point or as a topic of debate/discussion.
What you've failed to do is to make an (anticipated) allegation about Greenwood's 'obvious guilt'.
Or, even more predictably, highlight 'violence against women'.
Am I getting warm?
:rolleyes:

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

I’ve also heard/seen the audio/pictures online and they are horrific.

As much as the above seems damming evidence, should he come up with a defence (I cannot see how, but playing devils advocate) or plead not guilty - having posted the details online would certainly make a fair trial difficult.

S

Saphire

It’s not right but it does not change that evidence. As said before, it may raise a question over the possibility of him claiming that he won’t get a fair trial, and that’s worrying. :mad:
I agree with you both. Trial by media, where Joe Public sits on the imaginary jury and finds a person guilty before it's even got to court, is wrong, mistakes can be made, and legally, no one is guilty till they have been proven so in court.

On the other hand, celebs, and that includes footballers, seem to think there is one law for them which elevates them above the rest of us....and money talks. It can buy the best legal team and it can shut people up.
Many women do report domestic violence, and it's not dealt with properly.
This girl was in a relationship with him, she wasn't a one night stand where it's his word against hers, no proof either way.

This girl has gone straight in for the kill...what is done cant be undone, everyone has seen and heard the evidence.
Sometimes social media, though tacky, gets results.

S

Saphire

Looks like a Pandoras box has been opened.

"Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood has been further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
A statement from Greater Manchester Police on Tuesday confirmed his arrest on suspicion of the further offences.

It added that questioning was ongoing after magistrates granted an extension to keep the player in custody until Wednesday.

The statement said: "Detectives have been granted further additional time to speak to a man in his 20s who was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman.

"The suspect was detained in custody on Sunday afternoon after we became aware of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence."

S

Saphire

He's been released on bail without being charged.... :rolleyes:
One way or another, now this has generated worldwide publicity, it won't be the end of this that's for sure.
But as you mentioned earlier in the thread....
" In today's crazy world, the 'evidence' of a crime is uploaded to a social networking site so the accused can be publicly named, shamed and practically convicted before it even gets to court"

Since this news first broke a few days ago, it's been confirmed that...

"Nike has suspended its deal with Greenwood and Electronic Arts has confirmed his removal from active squads on FIFA 22.

In a statement to the PA news agency, the video game company said: “Mason Greenwood has been removed from active squads in FIFA 22 and has also been suspended from appearing in FIFA Ultimate Team (FUT) packs and Ultimate Draft.”

In a statement on Tuesday, Manchester United said it “reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind”.

The club added: “As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.”

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It is pretty common to bail pending further investigation - this gives a bit of time to ensure all the T’s are crossed and the I’s dotted.

So what the police present to CPS can receive the correct charge. I would hazard an educated guess that the arrest for threats to kill could potentially be increased (they will be waiting for medical reports)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Sadly I don’t believe he’s alone in thinking he is untouchable. These kids, that’s all they are, are given unimaginable amounts of money, adoration of thousands of people, fame… and as Marcus Rashford has shown, they think only their opinions matter, be it on relationships, politics, social issues, or whatever else they meet in life. They are simply never told ‘NO’.
I don`t even follow football but i would like to comment that it`s not only "these kids" who are guilty of such obscene attitudes & deeds. I can think of a PM who has exactly the same " I can`t be touched " attitude .

Back