Life in prison with a minimum sentence of...

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
We've heard that on the news many times and thought yes, that's them away for 20..30..40 years whatever, before they can even apply for parole.
So I was shocked when I read in the paper that O'Shaughnessy, who's crime was so despicable I won't type it here, has been granted parole after serving 26 years, even though the judge gave him life with a minimum sentence of 30 years. How has this been allowed? :confused:

Raining_Roses

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I cannot comprehend how the parole board has come to that decision. What ‘changes’ could he have possibly made to ensure he isn’t a risk to children? He’s hardly been tested in the community!

And how is his release justice served? He intentionally took a young life, which means he should pay for the rest of his. Child killers, such as him, should not be allowed parole. He knew what he was doing- it was depraved and calculated- and he knew what the consequences could be, because he attempted to cover up what he’d done.

The only plus point I can see (in the view of court) is that he admitted to what he’d done. Usually, the prison reform services see that as the first step towards taking responsibility and accepting their ‘punishment’ and thus, eventually (through cycles of change) minimising risk factors in the future.

But honestly, I have no idea how his very early release or even the chance for parole has been allowed! Perhaps there was something in the parole board’s brownie’s that day- that’s all I can say!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Are minimum sentences just a recomendation? I thought they were set in stone. Perhaps we should count ourselves lucky because this wasn't
his first parole hearing. :rolleyes:

asaultnviniger

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
i cant help thinking about prison sentences, my mind works in strangeways

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I cannot comprehend how the parole board has come to that decision. What ‘changes’ could he have possibly made to ensure he isn’t a risk to children? He’s hardly been tested in the community!

And how is his release justice served? He intentionally took a young life, which means he should pay for the rest of his. Child killers, such as him, should not be allowed parole. He knew what he was doing- it was depraved and calculated- and he knew what the consequences could be, because he attempted to cover up what he’d done.

The only plus point I can see (in the view of court) is that he admitted to what he’d done. Usually, the prison reform services see that as the first step towards taking responsibility and accepting their ‘punishment’ and thus, eventually (through cycles of change) minimising risk factors in the future.

But honestly, I have no idea how his very early release or even the chance for parole has been allowed! Perhaps there was something in the parole board’s brownie’s that day- that’s all I can say!

Usually, they find God.

Back