Let's talk about scones

1 -3 How do you pronounce the word scone? 4 - 6 Do you put jam or cream on first?

• 3. An alternative way (aka unconventional)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Jam first

• 5. Cream first

• 6. an alternative way (aka unconventional)

• Total voters

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Poll options appear BEFORE the preamble to this discussion. Don't blame me for this error. Also, please excuse the cursed, default font. I'll amend it at the earliest opportunity.

So, I have two question about the ubiquitous teatime favourite, scones.

1. How do you (personally) pronounce the word scone?

2. If you have a cream tea, do you apply the jam first or the cream first?

I was going to ask if you also spread butter prior to either of these actions, but I'll leave it at that for now.

With due deference, I won't spoil it by giving you my preferences until others have voiced theirs.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Great thread!
I pronounce it scon as in gone. The only thing I put on them is butter. Which reminds me of the Lumberjack Song -
He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch
He goes to the lavatory
On Wednesdays he goes shoppin'
And has buttered scones for tea
:)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Great thread!
I pronounce it scon as in gone. The only thing I put on them is butter. Which reminds me of the Lumberjack Song -
He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch
He goes to the lavatory
On Wednesdays he goes shoppin'
And has buttered scones for tea

... and, what do you prefer to put on your scone first, other than butter? Jam or cream?
Apparently there is deep divide between Cornwall and Devon on this subject. I don't know why.
Logic and practicality would deem it most proper to apply the jam first and top it with the (clotted) cream, surely?
The jam is then spread on a solid base.
To me, the alternative is a far messier and unpredictable method of application.

By the way, your chosen pronunciation of the word makes me cringe.
Sorry, but scon, as in 'gone', sounds so terribly pretentious. I really should be scornful.

Why would there be an e at the end of the word if it did not have any bearing on the correct pronunciation?
I don't think any other word with one syllable ending 'one' is pronounced any other way than 'own'. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Only the 'Stone of Scone' (apparently pronounced 'scoon') appears to defy the English pronunciation. But, what else would you expect from Scottish rebels? Actually, that is also found to be pronounced 'scone' as in stone.

It's certainly easier to sort out the jam or cream quandary in this case.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
As I said...
The only thing I put on them is butter.
Pay attention! :)
As for your diss'ing of my pronunciation, I simply put that down to you being you! ;)
But don't you ever leave this site. You're one of the few chatters that's keeping me here. Loads will be begging you to go now. :eek:

TemptingEnigma

Last time I was someone’s type I was giving blood.
Reaction score
The scon/skown debate has been around for decades and despite the rules of English, can be pronounced many different ways.

For information there is a place in Scotland called Scone ..... which has a Palace, where the Stone of Destiny used to be. This is pronounced as Skoon.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
The scon/skown debate has been around for decades and despite the rules of English, can be pronounced many different ways.

For information there is a place in Scotland called Scone ..... which has a Palace, where the Stone of Destiny used to be. This is pronounced as Skoon.

Trust you to stick your two bawbees into the debate.
I had already referenced The Stone of Scone because I thought someone would give it a mention.
I even gave the usual (Scottish) pronunciation of the word Scone too.
As I said...

Pay attention! :)
As for your diss'ing of my pronunciation, I simply put that down to you being you! ;)
You're one of the few chatters that's keeping me here. Loads will be begging you to go now. :eek:

"But don't you ever leave this site".

Rest assured, I do not have any plans to do such a thing. Thank you for your 'continued support', dear lady.

I'm already thinking of regaling the Forum with a new, though-provoking and entertaining thread.

I'm disappointed though. Usually anything about food is commented on by most people, at some point, in UK Chat.

My berating of you was done with tongue in cheek because I am fearing that I might now be in the minority re pronunciation.

TemptingEnigma

Reaction score
Trust you to stick your two bawbees into the debate.
I had already referenced The Stone of Scone because I thought someone would give it a mention.
I even gave the usual (Scottish) pronunciation of the word Scone too.

NIce to see my Scottishness is rubbing off on you :p We will have you wearing the kilt soon enough!!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Pronouncing it scone, (as in bone) unless you speak with an RP accent, is a tad pretentious. Then again, i'd never diss someone's accent, or their
attempts to feel superior. :)

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Scone.
Is in Sc-own.
I know, Queens English is phonetically Skon, but I don't like it.
Its the same with Look, I get bent outta shape that my ma says Look which sounds like Luck.
Same with Book and Buck.
Drives me mad.

As for Scones and cream tea, sorry, I put the butter on, then the Marmite.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
As for Scones and cream tea, sorry, I put the butter on, then the Marmite.

Up until the Marmite bit, I was with you all the way.
Jesus, man ... haven't you got ANY self-respect?

:eek:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Bet you like sprouts.

It wouldn't be Christmas without sprouts, not to mention any other time of the year, if they are available.
You know how vegetables are the bane of many people's lives who lack a varied diet? Alien to the current generation.
But, that's entirely another matter.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It wouldn't be Christmas without sprouts, not to mention any other time of the year, if they are available.
You know how vegetables are the bane of many people's lives who lack a varied diet? Alien to the current generation.
But, that's entirely another matter.

I have asked everyone I know who does not like Marmite and about 80% of them like sprouts.
Thats a trend.
Science in the making lol.
Bet someone could do a paper on it these days and make a buck or two lmao

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
I have asked everyone I know who does not like Marmite and about 80% of them like sprouts.
Thats a trend.
Science in the making lol.
Bet someone could do a paper on it these days and make a buck or two lmao

I do know that there is some nutrition to be gained from sprouts, be they the Brussels variety or not.
Marmite is basically just concentrated gunge. Personally, I blame the Australians for promoting Vegemite.
Get yourself some 'real man's' food ... buy Bovril!

:D

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Ah now Bovril.
Special place in the heart lol

Especially as a last drink at night before bed.

Add to that, Bovril was created by a Scotsman whereas marmite was invented by a German ;)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Poll options appear BEFORE the preamble to this discussion. Don't blame me for this error. Also, please excuse the cursed, default font. I'll amend it at the earliest opportunity.

So, I have two question about the ubiquitous teatime favourite, scones.

1. How do you (personally) pronounce the word scone?

2. If you have a cream tea, do you apply the jam first or the cream first?

I was going to ask if you also spread butter prior to either of these actions, but I'll leave it at that for now.

With due deference, I won't spoil it by giving you my preferences until others have voiced theirs.
Because the way in which preparing a thread does not allow one to pose two questions in a poll, it was inevitable for me to ask the questions together and list the responses numerically. Hence responses 1 - 3 referred to the scone/scon debate and 4 - 6 referred to the jam or cream first debate.
I see that 4 others have given their votes on the pronunciation of the word, but no one has dared respond to the jam or cream first issue.

Can anyone tell me why that is?

TemptingEnigma

Reaction score
Because the way in which preparing a thread does not allow one to pose two questions in a poll, it was inevitable for me to ask the questions together and list the responses numerically. Hence responses 1 - 3 referred to the scone/scon debate and 4 - 6 referred to the jam or cream first debate.
I see that 4 others have given their votes on the pronunciation of the word, but no one has dared respond to the jam or cream first issue.

Can anyone tell me why that is?
Probably as with most tests/exams/questionnaires people do not read to the end of the paper.

Back