Is Depression or boredom a means to happiness

TheBabayaga

Life is but a Dream within a dream
Reaction score
..Without the feeling of depression how are you supposed to appreciate happiness. Its like falling into a freezing river, then getting to warm up next to a warm fire. If the river incident hadnt happened, you might sit in front of that fire and just feel warm. Just saying.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
I agree.

Suffering does help us appreciate what is considered the small things in life. That usually goes unnoticed in the bedlam of everyday life. The haste to be somewhere doing something. No time to stop and just notice and enjoy our surroundings.

Morning dew on a delicate flower.

Autumn colours on a majestic oak tree.

etc.

C

CrazyCatLady

Does it have to be as drastic of a feeling as depression to appreciate happiness? What about sadness?
When at the bottom of the depressive scale, it can be impossible to recognise moments in which happiness should appear.

TheBabayaga

Life is but a Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Does it have to be as drastic of a feeling as depression to appreciate happiness? What about sadness?
When at the bottom of the depressive scale, it can be impossible to recognise moments in which happiness should appear.
I thought of this because of a documentary in which the investigator looked at some depth into the lives of some celebrities . Although they were portrayed and probably at the start were seemingly happy, wealth women [or men] properties exetera exetera there was a more darker side, one that wasnt splashed across glossy magazines. just made me wander.

D

Deadpool

Happiness seems to be loneliness
And loneliness chilled my world
How could you guess, when you're only thinking of yourself?

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Double Barrelled question...Answer the question's...1 at a time.

M

MrBoring

Thing is, for some, if not most, happiness is a constant and yet still very appreciative and grateful.

BjornToulouse

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Every emotion we experience is purely a result of our evolutionary success. Happiness / Sadness - it's all the same

W

Wren

..Without the feeling of depression how are you supposed to appreciate happiness. Its like falling into a freezing river, then getting to warm up next to a warm fire. If the river incident hadnt happened, you might sit in front of that fire and just feel warm. Just saying.
Disagree

Just is not justified

BjornToulouse

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
The art of sitting still, doing nothing, and not being bothered is an art. ... And Shredded Wheat is the God of cereals

P

PennyDreadful

After a very difficult week, I went to my local park and watched the ducks and swans in the pond. It was quite relaxing, there is something about water that is very calming.
If only I could take the pond with me, so I can place it where it is most needed. This might be a new coping mechanism, when life gets tough.

vulcan

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Its all an invention to keep the quacks in buisness. No such thing before THE war.

Back