Facts

W

WolfeSwitche

Rather than derail a thread I thought I'd start another thread.

@hellYou stated you "knew of swans breaking a mans arm" as FACT.

When challenged you discovered you were wrong.

My point, that you're missing, is that you were stating something you heard as fact, it wasn't.

I've "heard" the earth is flat. Do I post I "know" the earth is flat?

Maybe we are just misunderstanding each other.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

My point, that you're missing, is that you were stating something you heard as fact, it wasn't.

Where do you live ? When i was young it was well known ,written about ,spoken about ands broadcast that a Swan had broken a mans arm. Like all "Old wives tales" there was /is an element of truth in that no doubt ( unless you wish to carry on with this debate >?) but on reflection it was most likely a warning which parents gave to their children to avoid Swans ,especially when they had Eggs or Young.
Somewhere ,deep in my memory bank ( reducing rapidly now !) i had this memory stored ready to drag out if or when such a debate about Swans took place .
Do you know any "Old Wives Tales "?

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
What can I say, I gave hell the benefit of the doubt, saying that perhaps it could happen with a child or perhaps a disabled person, as they seemed so sure of what they were claiming.

But It's obvious that a bird (goose, swan or possibly any other bird), although allegedly aggressive (as hell claimed) have much thinner and smaller bones than any human, and the wings are quite hollow, too, so how could they possibly break a human bone?

As the googled post claims, they'd break their own bones in the process of trying to break a human bone.

Don't recall any wives tales at the moment (but then again my memory is bad, give it a few hrs (or days lol).
Give me your age and i`lll tell you if you missed the good old days :)

funandflirty

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It would appear there was a newspaper article stating a swan/swans had broken a child’s arm and another child’s leg (absolutely not saying it is accurate - but it does appear to have been printed)

Attachments

• D57806BE-4ECA-407B-AF46-C07BB5F66FF1.jpeg
    D57806BE-4ECA-407B-AF46-C07BB5F66FF1.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2F875AA0-797D-420E-A5D1-273C28BC1BAA.jpeg
    2F875AA0-797D-420E-A5D1-273C28BC1BAA.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 6

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It would appear there was a newspaper article stating a swan/swans had broken a child’s arm and another child’s leg (absolutely not saying it is accurate - but it does appear to have been printed)
It will be very interesting to see if there are any replies to this post by Fun. No chance of a "like though ! apart from mine :)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

Read #6 then weep :)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It`s taking a long time to get a reply eh Fun? . I wonder why ?:)

W

WolfeSwitche

Read #6 then weep :)
Uh huh, and we all know children are smaller, bones are more likely to break than a man's.

I have no problem conceding when I'm wrong. With this, I stand by my original comments that you stated you knew something when, as it transpires, you didn't.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Uh huh, and we all know children are smaller, bones are more likely to break than a man's.

I have no problem conceding when I'm wrong. With this, I stand by my original comments that you stated you knew something when, as it transpires, you didn't.
Don`t be so childish . I never said " i knew personally of someone who ...." .You think you are so clever ,you should know that i was only repeating what i heard /read from another source .
Are you a relative of Pando ? you sure sound like him !.

Tinkerbelle

❤️chat b1tch❤️
Reaction score
Don`t be so childish . I never said " i knew personally of someone who ...." .You think you are so clever ,you should know that i was only repeating what i heard /read from another source .
I have known Swans to break a mans arm . You underestimate their strength i`m afraid .

Like Reply

I think u actually did :)

W

WolfeSwitche

Ohhhhhh.... it's my fault...

So I'm supposed to know you meant "I've heard of swans breaking a man's arm" when you actually typed "I know of swans breaking a man's arm"

My bad.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh.... it's my fault...

So I'm supposed to know you meant "I've heard of swans breaking a man's arm" when you actually typed "I know of swans breaking a man's arm"

My bad.
Just where did you think i got the "KNOW OF" part of my statement from eh ? Go back to school ( and take your mates above with you ).

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Of course I've seen a swan in real life !
There are a few in a nearby lake and I've never seen any aggressive ones, for that matter..

How far do I live from a river?
Why ask?
I've only ever seen swans in a lake, pond, never in a river.
In a Lake ,1/2 a mile away they won`t be aggressive . They get aggressive if they have a nest with a wife (yes they mate for life unlike todays excuse for Humans ) and also have Young Swans.

W

WolfeSwitche

Just where did you think i got the "KNOW OF" part of my statement from eh ? Go back to school ( and take your mates above with you ).
"I know swans breaking a man's arm" wouldn't be grammatically correct, so I assumed you were writing English, hence "I know of swans breaking a man's arm"

Why do you always resort to insulting anyone who disagrees with you? Because they show you up?

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
But the lake is pretty small - There are just a few swans, never seen any of them nesting though - perhaps they are all the same sex

lol @ yes they mate for life unlike todays excuse for Humans .

So do pigeons (apparently).
Not sure it's true though as I've seen a couple mating with different partners in different yrs (unless they were widowed lol) :)
Again ,i tend to believe what i hear or read written by Experts on the subject ,not by Chatroom experts .:)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Why do you always resort to insulting anyone who disagrees with you? Because they show you up?
don`t be so childish . You are trying to put me down ,not debate on an equal basis . I have demonstrated clearly to you and all the other stooges on the site that i only stated what i read from others who i would have considered to have knowledge ,unlike the " think i know all" Chatroom experts with their hoards of Followers .

Back