Dr martens v. Solovair

Not_Fred_Honest

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
When I was a boy I wore Dr martens boots. My parents brought "rejects" from the factory shop and they were cheap.
These days a good pair will cost you between £70 for an imported pair from Thailand, £170 for the made in England.

I do own a pair of 1460DM's Wintergrip leather ankle boots I pick up cheap for about £70 in a sale.

1729038218214.png

I did look these up online and price right now is £180

I own 3 pairs of Solovairs boots

1729038406914.png

These are my burgundy rub-off dealer boot and you cant find these on sale. I've tried. Again there made in the UK and cost £180.

So what's the difference between them?

Dr martens boots don't have a shank.

A shank in a boot is a structural reinforcement that runs under the arch of the foot to help keep its shape over time:

• What it is
    A shank is a long, thin strip of stiff material that's cemented between the insole and outsole of a boot.

• What it does
    A shank provides support and stability for your feet, and helps prevent your feet from fatiguing quickly. It also enhances the lifespan of your boots and provides a balance between support and comfort

I couldn't believe they would sell a pair of boots at this price point without one, but they do.

Solovair do have a shank.

Dr martens know most of the people who buy there boots are just buying the name and style. Its become a fashion icons over the years, a must have item for any teenage girl. They wont be wore endless and never be resoled.

Solovair are made to be worn. People who own them do have them resoled.

So its a question of value for money. I feel boots like leather jackets get better with age. They become more comfortable with time and only a fool would throw them away. If your going spend this much on a pair of boots, make sure there built to last.

Murran2

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I love my docs and have 3 pairs.They are great especially in the winter.

Not_Fred_Honest

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
If you look at soles design for building sites and compare them to Dr martens, there not much good over the winter.

1729066016546.png

And when I think about it, your better off in a pair of safety boots over the winter months.

• Safety Rating: S7 FO HRO LG SC SR
  • 200J Steel Toe Cap
  • Steel Penetration-Resistant Midsole
  • Wide Fit
  • Fuel Oil-Resistant Sole
  • 300°C Heat-Resistant Sole
  • Waterproof
  • Anti-Static Sole
  • Shock-Absorbing Heel & Sole
  • Reinforced Heel

You can pick a good pair up for around £60.

Dr martens are more like trainers these days

Back