Can Chemistry solve the origin of life?.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Great talk with some very educated folk.

A_Son_of_God

Forum Reasoner - Nemesis of the Trolls
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I might have a look a little later, but to squeeze an hour in right now is a little difficult.

Still, I'll go with no, and the reason being, is there is more than chemistry involved. For instance, when we break down into atomic theory, even discussing leptons, we don't discuss these on a chemical basis mainly, but a physics one. Even if we were to work out how life came to be, there is more than chemistry involved. It is like a chef bakes a cake, and the quality assurance manager may know the ingredients, and how well they met the standards. But the two differ. The quality assurance manager may learn how to beat an egg, how to prepare a cream, etc, but he will have so much other stuff to master, he'd have to give up his quality assurance to study it (being a chef, that is). He is not a chef, even if he can tell the chef how pure or fresh the ingredients are.

But yes, I will try to find an hour or so this weekend to have a listen.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I might have a look a little later, but to squeeze an hour in right now is a little difficult.

Still, I'll go with no, and the reason being, is there is more than chemistry involved. For instance, when we break down into atomic theory, even discussing leptons, we don't discuss these on a chemical basis mainly, but a physics one. Even if we were to work out how life came to be, there is more than chemistry involved. It is like a chef bakes a cake, and the quality assurance manager may know the ingredients, and how well they met the standards. But the two differ. The quality assurance manager may learn how to beat an egg, how to prepare a cream, etc, but he will have so much other stuff to master, he'd have to give up his quality assurance to study it (being a chef, that is). He is not a chef, even if he can tell the chef how pure or fresh the ingredients are.

But yes, I will try to find an hour or so this weekend to have a listen.
Listen fella. I'm not as bad as you think i am. I used to be a believer. One time i had a very strong faith. These days i cling onto that faith with a very thin string.

When it takes Exploding Stars to make Atoms, which in turn makes US, humans. I see no need for a Creator.

Justin Brierly.. who is the guy that hosted this conversation is a very religious man.

One of the Guys in the video above is Perry Marshall... He's got some great stuff on the net. Check him out.

He's very religious, he is the son of a pastor and he lives in the US.. He's a really nice guy.

Denis Noble and lee Cronin are extremely educated and put their thoughts into the debate.

It's a fantastic video.

Watch the whole video when ever you can.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Moriarty... have a listen when you get the chance. ;)
Listened to the first 3 minutes.
He quotes Dawkins saying basically life is a happy accident.
Then he says that is not a scientific theory.

Bear in mind, the video this it taken from is a debate channel for christians and non christians to get thier wangs out.

According to Perry Marshall's own web site:-

He states.
"The common thread is my conviction that the world is divinely ordered by elegent principles which we humans are privilaged to discover."

3 minutes in and theres an agenda.

I am agnostic.

I can neither agree nor disagree because I dont Know.

Any scientist who says they "Know" isn't a scientist, they are a representative of an idea.

Science is based on uncertainty, hence I never listen to scientists who are certain.

I will watch the rest of the video with interest, but I cant right now, other chit to do.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Listened to the first 3 minutes.
He quotes Dawkins saying basically life is a happy accident.
Then he says that is not a scientific theory.

Bear in mind, the video this it taken from is a debate channel for christians and non christians to get thier wangs out.

According to Perry Marshall's own web site:-

He states.
"The common thread is my conviction that the world is divinely ordered by elegent principles which we humans are privilaged to discover."

3 minutes in and theres an agenda.

I am agnostic.

I can neither agree nor disagree because I dont Know.

Any scientist who says they "Know" isn't a scientist, they are a representative of an idea.

Science is based on uncertainty, hence I never listen to scientists who are certain.

I will watch the rest of the video with interest, but I cant right now, other chit to do.
I'm surprised you only listened to 3 minutes then thought it nesecarry to comment?

That's not something i would have thought you would do.

But fair enough.

Perry is a bit over the top religious but hes a very wise guy and open to debate.

I'm not forcing anyone to watch the video... i know its's an hour out of someone's life.

10 years ago Perry put out a Prize of $10M for anyone to explain...

How genetic code inside cells got there, and how cells intentionally self-organize, communicate, then purposely adapt.

Perry Marshall and his ascociates are STILL offering $10M to anyone who can explain how this happened. It's a genuine offer backed up by guarantees.

So far no one has explained it.

In the video Lee Cronin and Denis Noble go some way to explain it with Lee saying he WILL win the prize.

Like i said, it's a great video/debate..Obviously only for those interested in how we came to be other than via a God of some kind.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I'm surprised you only listened to 3 minutes then thought it nesecarry to comment?

That's not something i would have thought you would do.

But fair enough.

Perry is a bit over the top religious but hes a very wise guy and open to debate.

I'm not forcing anyone to watch the video... i know its's an hour out of someone's life.

10 years ago Perry put out a Prize of $10M for anyone to explain...

How genetic code inside cells got there, and how cells intentionally self-organize, communicate, then purposely adapt.

Perry Marshall and his ascociates are STILL offering $10M to anyone who can explain how this happened. It's a genuine offer backed up by guarantees.

So far no one has explained it.

In the video Lee Cronin and Denis Noble go some way to explain it with Lee saying he WILL win the prize.

Like i said, it's a great video/debate..Obviously only for those interested in how we came to be other than via a God of some kind.

At about 12 minutes in, when talking about Poker, he is talking simple Darwinism.

To daft at the mo to watch the rest, but really, this is scientific theory for money.
Maybe it will get better later, so far its a joke and actually painful to listen to.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
At about 12 minutes in, when talking about Poker, he is talking simple Darwinism.

To daft at the mo to watch the rest, but really, this is scientific theory for money.
Maybe it will get better later, so far its a joke and actually painful to listen to.
Fair enough. You sound like someone who's wonder for knowledge and understanding has left them.

Things like this will never get better for you.

You stay in your own small world.

I think that's exactly where you belong.

Last edited:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Fair enough. You sound like someone who's wonder for knowledge and understanding has left them.

Things like this will never get better for you.

You stay in your own small world.

I think that's exactly where you belong.

I look to learn something knew every day, otherwise its a wasted day.
Something my Nan taught me.
I simply said I hadnt watched it all.
What I did watch was pretty simplistic, like they were attempting do attract an audience.
I will watch all of it I promise.
No matter how painful lol

Back