Blasts from the past, TV ads.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
A lot of Beatles music is available these days for use in adverts after Sony licensed them for commercial use. The Beatles sold the rights to their music a long time ago. I remember McCartney falling out with Jacko after he was outbid by him in an auction, when he was trying to get back (no pun intended) his music.

S

Saphire

Thanks for that Lady....I didn't know. or if I did, I had forgotten.:confused:

Does it cheapen music to use it in ads?
Maybe McCartney thinks it does, after all, he certainly doesn't need the money.

Personally, I think it's heartening to hear some of the great songs from the past revived again...and no doubt many an artist is glad of the monetary reward and the renewed fame.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I think Sony have agreed that any music licensed for ads will be done selectively... I think it follows complaints after Freddy Mercury's music was allowed to be used to advertise Flash floor cleaner. :rolleyes:

No, Macca's not short of a few bob. £800 million was quoted during his divorce. It seems a hell of a lot, but when you think of all the music he created, he's earned it. Especially when you consider someone just creates a web site, and that figure is pennies to them.

Yes, I also love to see great songs revived again for use in ads.... and movies. Introducing them to a new audience. :)

S

Saphire

I think Sony have agreed that any music licensed for ads will be done selectively... I think it follows complaints after Freddy Mercury's music was allowed to be used to advertise Flash floor cleaner. :rolleyes:

No, Macca's not short of a few bob. £800 million was quoted during his divorce. It seems a hell of a lot, but when you think of all the music he created, he's earned it. Especially when you consider someone just creates a web site, and that figure is pennies to them.

Yes, I also love to see great songs revived again for use in ads.... and movies. Introducing them to a new audience. :)
This was a great ad...and Alan Price was always a really underrated singer imo.

S

Saphire

He's the bloke who played keyboards on The Animals 'Rising Sun track, isn't he? I know him mainly from this song... a real Geordie anthem.
He is Lady, the Jarrow song was a great song of it's time too.
I agreed what you said about Paul McCartney too....he moved with the times, and I think he puts a lot back, especially into his hometown.
Like George Michael, he doesn't make a big fuss of what he does. x

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Morrisons I go to in Jarrow has a statue in the car park commemorating the Jarrow hunger marchers. It's been vandalised a couple of times,
you wonder about the mentality of some folks. :rolleyes:

S

Saphire

The Morrisons I go to in Jarrow has a statue in the car park commemorating the Jarrow hunger marchers. It's been vandalised a couple of times,
you wonder about the mentality of some folks. :rolleyes:
My paternal family are from Durham Lady....I used to visit a lot when I was very young.

Love this blast from the past ad...

Back