And now for something completely different: The WORST television 'comedy' series of all time?

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
We all have our favourite television comedy series BUT now I want to know what you consider to be the worst of them. I am particularly citing series aired over the past 30 years as that period throws up probably the worst of the genre. I'll kick off with some genuine contenders:

Still Game - game for a gripe, not a laugh. Still being the operative word.
The Fast Show - slow-witted humour of the adolescent kind. You were fast if you watched it.
Smack The Pony - more like, smack ALL those involved in this interminable tripe.
Chewin' The Fat - digesting it was the hard part. Then you had dyspepsia to deal with.
2Point4 Children - which was a poor advert for contraception, to say the least.
Birds of a Feather - flock together, supposedly. They had flights of comic fancy, I think.
Brass Eye - certainly one in the eye for its viewers. Another load of utterly, humourless drivel.
The Catherine Tate Show - characters shared with Little Britain? Who cares? It was sheer nonsense.
Marley's Ghosts - the joke being that one woman could 'see' the ghosts of her recent past. Truly ghoulish!

I could go on, but there would be dozens more worthy of the title I propose.

Most of these are, allegedly, comedy or sketch shows. A shame that both the writers and performers didn't actually know what comedy was, and probably still don't! Thankfully, better things were to come after this dearth of talent. Another mention of Webb and Mitchell comes to mind. Sorry.
I don't think ANY of the above caused one single spasm of jocularity for me personally.

…. and to think that some people don't even find Shakespeare humorous. I ask you!

;) :) o_O

milkmonitor

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Friends
girls on top
2 pints of lager
peep show
derek
everybody loves raymond
the liver birds
METAL mickey
A L F
the golden girls

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Again …. would respondents PLEASE limit replies to BRITISH 'comedy' only. Thanks.

Dantheman

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
The only british comedy show I even liked was little britain

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
2Point4 Children - which was a poor advert for contraception, to say the least.
I liked 2point4 children. Have I lost my sense of taste, should I get tested? :)

Last of the summer wine - Three grumpy old men, rambling on and on . . .
Allo Allo - Dear me, where do you start with this one?
My Hero - Ardel went from Father Ted to this . . . . . . .
Mrs Brown's Boys - This Les Dawson kind of thing might have been funny in the 70s.
Tripper's Day - The worst thing Leonard Rossiter ever did . . ..

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Some shows grow on you, at first I turned off 'Father Ted', I thought it was just cheap shots at the catholic church. Then I gave it another go and second time round, I got the humour. The first time i watched 'The thick of it', I switched off after 5 mins, the deliberate shaking of the hand-held camera made me feel sea sick. After the rave reviews of the show I gave it another go... after a while you don't notice the camera shake and you can appreciate the humour. At the risk of annoying 'Wicked' :rolleyes: the American version of the show called 'Veep' is even better.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
I liked 2point4 children. Have I lost my sense of taste, should I get tested? :)

Last of the summer wine - Three grumpy old men, rambling on and on . . .
Allo Allo - Dear me, where do you start with this one?
My Hero - Ardel went from Father Ted to this . . . . . . .
Mrs Brown's Boys - This Les Dawson kind of thing might have been funny in the 70s.
Tripper's Day - The worst thing Leonard Rossiter ever did . . ..

Thanks for reminding me: Mrs. Brown's Boys. What an abysmal show that is, and it's follow-up, All Round To Mrs. Browns incorporating the 'Cathy Brown Show' and even a dreadful film version to round it off! If you've seen one, you seen the f**king lot!
How very dare you! 'Allo, 'Allo gave one of the best openers in chat: "Good moaning"! Not to mention, "I shall say this only vornce".
I cannot forgive you mentioning Veep as it was not within the scope of my thread. However, I see that t was written by British writer Armando Iannucci, who has a very sound comedy pedigree. ( Ah, ah!)
And finally …. are you not having video conferences with your therapist during lockdown? :eek:

milkmonitor

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
monty python wasn't shite but vastly over-rated. i mean they'd never allow to just cut away from a sketch cos you couldnt think of an ending to it nowadays. cleese and idle were ok but never found much funny with the rest

smack the pony was by women for women, so ...
back to the list

duty free
fresh fields (was always really high on tv ratings that, as was brittas empire)

there was an awful 80s stv comedy sketch show but cant think of the name

les dennis

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
monty python wasn't shite but vastly over-rated. i mean they'd never allow to just cut away from a sketch cos you couldnt think of an ending to it nowadays. cleese and idle were ok but never found much funny with the rest

smack the pony was by women for women, so ...
back to the list

duty free
fresh fields (was always really high on tv ratings that, as was brittas empire)

les dennis

Almost in total agreement, a lot of Monty Python looks very dated these days. I say almost, but 'Duty Free'? that's in my all time top 10 sit-coms. It's one of those rare shows that got better with every series. The antics of two people trying to have an affair on holiday- hilarious!

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score

WickedPerdition

Reaction score

It would probably be one of the above-mentioned. For some reason the humour just was not funny.
On the other hand, I enjoyed Rab C Nesbit and could understand practically everything he said.
:)

Back