Fave Films

Kate

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Yeah I enjoyed Passengers. Sci-fi is among my preferred genre of film.
Interstellar wasn't bad, though the cheesy "Hollywood" ending let it down somewhat. Intelligently thought out though.

P

Pageturner

yeah that stands out doesnt it? I loved Bram Stoker's Dracula, of course, Gary Oldman, sigh.
The Island, Ewen McGregor was excellent I thought.
Will Smith I am Legend was post apocalyptic, sad but good....spoiler the dog dies :(
in another genre, Straw Dogs with Dustin Hoffman was very good!
Passengers---ahhh I want to see that! Im a huge sci fi nerd, i listened to the negative reviews, maybe I should check it out.

P

Pageturner

I heard that too about Interstellar . I saw Gravity in the theaters, 3 d, ugh!!! was horrible. IN that vein, i loved The Martian with Matt Damon, found it very enjoyable and interesting.
Naturally I love Contact with Jodie Foster

T

ToughType

I heard that too about Interstellar . I saw Gravity in the theaters, 3 d, ugh!!! was horrible. IN that vein, i loved The Martian with Matt Damon, found it very enjoyable and interesting.
Naturally I love Contact with Jodie Foster
i like Jodie Foster i like her voice very soothing

T

ToughType

yeah that stands out doesnt it? I loved Bram Stoker's Dracula, of course, Gary Oldman, sigh.
Will Smith I am Legend was post apocalyptic, sad but good....spoiler the dog dies :(
Passengers---ahhh I want to see that! Im a huge sci fi nerd, i listened to the negative reviews, maybe I should check it out.
i don't listen to reviews i hope you enjoy it

Kate

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Ignore the reviews, it's definitely worth watching.
Also, if you like Dracula and suchlike, I can highly recommend a series called "Penny Dreadful" if you've not heard of it. There's 3 series and it's fantastic.
I love post apocalyptic. I Am Legend was great. I am a fan of stylish zombie films, though there's very few to mention.
There's one called "The Colony" that had abysmal ratings and reviews but I actually really enjoyed it.

A

Auntyseptic

I don't watch many films but I suppose I've seen quite a few over the years (some under duress).
I think I'm going to have to go for Withnail and I, no over the top sentimentality or special effects, just a bloody good (and very quotable) film.
"We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!"
Could watch that film every week.

Another fave is a Czech language film called Little Otik. I like weird sh**.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pageturner

Kate: The Colony has been on my watchlist for a while, thank you for your recommendation! I love the genre and get so disappointed when the films dont measure up, as it were.

Kate

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Kate: The Colony has been on my watchlist for a while, thank you for your recommendation! I love the genre and get so disappointed when the films dont measure up, as it were.
Don't forget about Penny Dreadful if you've not seen it. If you are a fan of Dracula, I'll eat my hat if you don't enjoy it!

Kate

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Oh and The Martian was great. I like stylish films that even though in reality it's impossible, they portray it in a very believable way.
I only wish there were more like it.
It's like natural disaster films, they never seem to get it right do they. I can honestly say I've never seen a good one.

P

Pageturner

I too love quintessential disaster films! The Towering Inferno was fantastic, in my opinion. Poseidon Adventure. I kinda miss the 1970s films, Im not so keen on the overly produced hollywood remakes.
Also the Terminator I loved! the first one. very interesting concept.
Re dystopian tv shows, I loved the british show Survivors. I watched the first few seasons of The Walking Dead. Battlestar Galactica was great, and even Caprica was good. I especially loved the VR city on the show Caprica---kinda Matrixy.

P

Pageturner

Don't forget about Penny Dreadful if you've not seen it. If you are a fan of Dracula, I'll eat my hat if you don't enjoy it!
youre the second person to recommend this show to me! I better put it on my watch list at IMDB thanks

Kate

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Oh do! It's really great if you like that kinda thing. It's got Billie Piper in it. It's ecclectic, stylish, dark, intricate and generally very good indeed!

Badmedicine

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Penny dreadful was good kate ...i also watched salem recently that was pretty good think it was 3 seasons and it ended well also .....but back to movies ...

hhhmm i couldn't really say i have a favourite i don't do favourites but id have to go with a few comedies to be up there for me
and probably ones ppl don't know but
start the revolution without me gene wilder n Donald Sutherland 1970s but really funny for a spoof film
the survivors robin Williams
fallen denziel Washington
i'll stop there before i end up with a list ..depends on me mood i guess what i watch really.

Elea

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Reservoir Dogs is a good film. The characters were all shades of a twilit forest. You'll also learn where the "here's me playing the world's smallest violin" meme comes from.

Back