The needs of others

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
OK! You have just won the lottery, say £10m.
Would you share it?
Who with?
How much?
What will you do with the rest?

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I would share my winnings with my mother and sister. They both get 1 million each. My best friend would get 1 million. I would then keep the rest of the 7 million, which would more than keep me going, and help out people when i can. I live very basic anyway, so little would change. I'm not interested in a big house, showing off, buying fancy cars, or wearing expensive clothes. That's just not me.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
My rich brother in law says his will go to the donkey charity.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I think I will buy some private treatment, I think the NHS has given up.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
My rich brother in law says his will go to the donkey charity.
What about if you start identifying as a donkey? Surely he'll have to give you the money in a charitable way.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Well, Ithink he is an ass. So he might!

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Keep 1M for myself....Share the rest of it..... 9M to help those in need...Especially dog and cat homes...Various charities that help those in need.

To think there are Billionairs out there that don't help when they clearly could?...|Fucked up world we live in.| :(

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I actually had a plan for my winnings when I used to buy lottery tickets regularly. A fat wodge each for the sisters and whatever the oldpeople need to have a really comfortable old age, then generous lumps for each of the nephews in trust - two lots, so there'd be a lovely surprise at 30 as well as 21. Local small animal homes would also get large donations but I also thought about how cool it would be to post bunches of cash through the doors of those I know are struggling. Windfalls are lovely things.

Then, when it came to what we'd like ourselves, we were stumped! I couldn't think beyond new cars, etc. but I rather like the one I have. I would feel too conspicuous driving around in a Maserati and wouldn't be able to drive a really fast one how I wanted within legal limits (very frustrating).

Perhaps obviously, I would give up work and start to live like a king, so there'd have to be quite a bit of spendable at my disposal.
I think, once I had sorted a few people out, I really would give a bit more away but I'd keep lots in the bank, too, in case of better ideas popping up.

Moose has just piped up that he'd like a golden kennel. He's been at the brochures again...

C

CrazyCatLady

I would give a portion of it my family and buy property- lots of houses and flats that I could adapt and rent out to people and families with disabilities. I don't have physical disabilities myself, but from my professional and personal experiences, I've found a lot of rental properties are not properly equipped for their disabled occupants and I would specifically modify each property for it's tenant. I would also make sure the properties could house pets, if needed, because often properties or assisted living places don't allow for pets. I would also keep the rent at a pittance and invest whatever I got from rents back in to the properties.

Whatever I kept for myself, I'd set myself up on a farm- somewhere in Wales- and live off whatever I made off that and the interest on what I'd saved. When I die, any money I have left would go to a cat sanctuary.

JaymiCB73

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I would definitely share with my family. I would use the money to open a business plan I have had for some time. The proceeds would go to NAMI and other mental health organizations.

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
I'd start a centre for young people - one where they could learn new skills for work, where it would wouldn't matter if they had experience or qualifications, and their wages would allow them to rent a room, for those who were finding it tough living at home. Somewhere where you moved up the ladder as soon as you were skilled to do something, and not kept at apprentice wages when you were doing the job of a qualified worker. So much injustice and inequality. We need to equip and empower young people, if we want a better society.

That's where my money would be, in leaving a legacy.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I can`t remember how we did it in the 50`s & 60`s then . I was never out of a job and i switched work fairly regularly. I`m all for giving work to the young today but maybe some of them expect too much (not money but job selection) ?. There is definitely a need for more rentable pads at a sensible cost but Private landlords have been allowed to run away on rents with the wrong type of Government in power for over a decade not regulating them. My opinion btw .

casiquaire

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
id spent the rest of my life travelling the world and if i couldnt do that, id live off grid on a sanctuary for unwanted animals

MillieW

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
id spent the rest of my life travelling the world and if i couldnt do that, id live off grid on a sanctuary for unwanted animals
Aww. You think of yourself as an unwanted animal? Poor dab.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I would give a portion of it my family and buy property- lots of houses and flats that I could adapt and rent out to people and families with disabilities. I don't have physical disabilities myself, but from my professional and personal experiences, I've found a lot of rental properties are not properly equipped for their disabled occupants and I would specifically modify each property for it's tenant. I would also make sure the properties could house pets, if needed, because often properties or assisted living places don't allow for pets. I would also keep the rent at a pittance and invest whatever I got from rents back in to the properties.

Whatever I kept for myself, I'd set myself up on a farm- somewhere in Wales- and live off whatever I made off that and the interest on what I'd saved. When I die, any money I have left would go to a cat sanctuary.
Get a farm?! Don't do it! Ha ha ha x

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Depending on how much I won I would first open a home for abused children.
Then if I had enough I would open a home for abused dogs.

Both love unconditionally and yet are abused to often, both need support and a place to be safe.

felice

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I would give most of it to charities, all my family members are well off financially and I don't need a lavish lifestyle. One of the charities would be Womens Aid.

C

CrazyCatLady

I can`t remember how we did it in the 50`s & 60`s then . I was never out of a job and i switched work fairly regularly. I`m all for giving work to the young today but maybe some of them expect too much (not money but job selection) ?. There is definitely a need for more rentable pads at a sensible cost but Private landlords have been allowed to run away on rents with the wrong type of Government in power for over a decade not regulating them. My opinion btw .

The economic boom of post war Britain is how you did it in the 50's & 60's. Loads of unskilled work, especially in the car, building and retail sectors and back then, you didn't need a CV and a long list of useless qualifications to serve tea and buns in a cafe. While I agree that the younger generations have higher expectations, so too do the employers.

Again when it comes to property standards. The younger generations have higher expectations and with higher expectations comes a high cost. Where I am, you can rent a fairly basic, needs a bit decor 2 bedroom terrace with a small garden for less than you can rent a one-bed flat with fitted white goods and newly decorated. Yet the one bed flat will get more views, because it looks nicer in the Instagram pics and no work is needed for it to get that way.
Yes there are unscrupulous landlords out there- there always has been. However, Landlords are regulated and so are rents, and councils prosecute landlords that let unsafe properties, but it is up to the tenant to complain to the council (and often, be persistent).

I also believe there's a deficit in understanding amongst most Private Rental tenants in that they rarely understand what they are signing when it comes to their tenancy agreement and accompanying paperwork. Furthermore, they don't have an understanding of their rights as tenants. During the past three generations, Private renting has become a necessity for many and yet understanding that kind of legal document and their rights are not taught in high school or college, and frankly I think it should be.

Back