Democracy? Haha take this!

EnglishLearner

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
We all have a belief that democracy does mean freedom of speech which I never thought that it existed.
Try to say that you like Trump’s policy, and that, you are implementing your freedom of speech right. But do you know what are the consequences? You would be called fool, and even psychopath!
I am not saying that I am with or against.. just clarifying that democracy is an illusion.

Best Regards!

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Democracy does exist because you can at least say those things. In certain countries if you speak out, you may very well end up disappearing. Just a name on a list that is later mislaid. . . ..

EnglishLearner

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Democracy does exist because you can at least say those things. In certain countries if you speak out, you may very well end up disappearing. Just a name on a list that is later mislaid. . . ..
You can say anything that is compatible with others views or you will get abused, at least psychologically.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
We all have a belief that democracy does mean freedom of speech which I never thought that it existed.
Try to say that you like Trump’s policy, and that, you are implementing your freedom of speech right. But do you know what are the consequences? You would be called fool, and even psychopath!
I am not saying that I am with or against.. just clarifying that democracy is an illusion.

Best Regards!
Democracy is just good manners; and having the freedom to employ them.

BasildonBond

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
As you've said, it's Democracy that gives people the right to free speech, obviously within certain legal constraints. But what Democracy doesn't provide, nor should it, is the right for anyone's views to be respected. They can say pretty much what they like, but Free Speech DOESN'T mean what they say can't be derided or mocked by others.

B

Bad_Influence

With free speech comes responsibility. It’s as simple and as complicated as that.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Free speech and democracy are not related.
They are simple bedfellows.
Just as free speech occurs in Republics and many other forms of governence.

A simple question to those who deride Trump as a threat to democracy, do you understand democracy?
Bearing in mind that the USA is a Republic of States, not a total Democracy.
I suggest people who dont know look up the difference between a Republic and a Democracy.
It's why the parties are named as such.
God, a Brit has to explain US government, its sad lol

Back