It's a must at this time of year ... Favourite Christmas Movie?

C

coffee-time

One of my modern favourites is Netflix's Christmas Chronicles. Christmas Chronicles 2 is released in UK on Wednesday.

S

Steven56

A Christmas Story, much of that movie was filmed close to where I live. The house was turned into a museum to visit.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've just been watching 'The Apartment' on the BBC i player, Whilst not strictly a Christmas movie, it is centred around the Christmas/New year period. It won the Oscar for best picture, worth a viewing.

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
A Christmas Carol, all of them even the black and white one, just love that story! And Love Actually which is more less based around the Christmas period and lastly and the newest favourite Last Christmas.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
'Meet me in St Louis"
This film is on the BBC on Thurs, It's not exactly a Christmassy film, but I bring it to the forum thread's attention because it features what must surely be the saddest Christmas song ever - Judy Garland singing "Have yourself a merry little Christmas". Very apt for this Covid Christmas.

"Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
Next year all our troubles will be out of sight
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Make the yuletide gay
Next year all our troubles will be miles away
Once again as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who were near to us
Will be dear to us once more
Someday soon we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now". . . .

p.s
Interesting fact - Frank Sinatra considered the song too depressing, he had the lyrics changed :rolleyes:

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Throw the TV out the window....And all you ladies can knit BadInfluence a new tank top....:D

patons vest pipe man fair isle.jpg

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score

I can't believe that I am actually agreeing with so many people in this thread. :eek:
My first choice just has to be Scrooge - A Christmas Carol (1951). It is, after all, a British film with British actors, written by one of England's greatest
authors, Charles Dickens. It sets the moral course for all the other popular films favoured in this genre.
Secondly, I would vote for It's A Wonderful Life (1946), which is also a very uplifting film.
Thirdly, like a few others, I would opt for Miracle On 34th Street
(1947), another heart-warming film of the genre.
It annoys me that some people consider ANY film set around the Christmas period can be classed as a Christmas film.
One such example is Die Hard (1988). It simply has nothing to do with the festive season at all. Christmas is merely incidental to the story.

TwoWhalesInAPool

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Kinda superficial Christmas setting but...

2008: 'In Bruges'

and

2010: 'Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale'

Last edited:

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I hardly ever watch TV and I quit knitting at around age 12.

Sorry :D

No need to apologise. :)

Technically speaking, you are the 'Competition here',,,Though i highly doubt you're in my class.

That said, I also gave up knitting at the age of 12...

Small world....Call my secretary...We should have dinner together some time...;)

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
No need to apologise. :)

Technically speaking, you are the 'Competition here',,,Though i highly doubt you're in my class.

That said, I also gave up knitting at the age of 12...

Small world....Call my secretary...We should have dinner together some time...;)

I never gave up knitting. It's a very creative pastime and very rewarding.
:)

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I watched 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation' over the holidays, I'd forgotten about this one, I'd put this at No 1 on my all-time favourite Christmas films list. I also caught the 1951 version of 'A Christmas Carol' (mentioned above ^^^^) Notwithstanding the great Alistair Sim as the quintessential 'Scrooge', I'm not a fan of this version, simply because the picture quality is poor, bordering on unwatchable. They've colourised it. but it needs a complete remastering job.

Back