An open Christmas?

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
If you listen to the media it would seem that much of the UK is against an open Christmas.
They can see that spending two or three days with friends and relations for Xmas is a recipe for disaster.
Coronavirus is said to spread easily in warm, cramped rooms.
So how is it that our brightest and best, our leaders, our scientists allow the population to put themselves at such risk?
Could they not trust the people to act sensibly? There will, of course, always be a minority who will ignore all advice but, trust the people, perhaps lifting the law for the few days of Christmas, and putting people on trust to behave sensibly will, I am sure be more acceptable to the general public: and more successful.
Trust the people, drop the demands, the rules, the law, and Trust the people?

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Of course, we hear tonight that the government, in their own clumsy, lumping way, have dared to go down this road.
If only they had said that they trust us to do the right thing!

B

Bad_Influence

Of course, we hear tonight that the government, in their own clumsy, lumping way, have dared to go down this road.
If only they had said that they trust us to do the right thing!

And Joe and Jane Pubic will betray that trust. As has been the case throughout the history of this pandemic.
If anything has been proven during the last 8 months it’s that the public in general do not care about the overall safety of the masses, as long as they can blame somebody else.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
And Joe and Jane Pubic will betray that trust. As has been the case throughout the history of this pandemic.
If anything has been proven during the last 8 months it’s that the public in general do not care about the overall safety of the masses, as long as they can blame somebody else.

A few Janes and Joes might, but they always will. I believe that a majority will not only do the right thing but also shame those that don't.
If only he had said that he trusted the people to behave!

B

Bad_Influence

A few Janes and Joes might, but they always will. I believe that a majority will not only do the right thing but also shame those that don't.
If only he had said that he trusted the people to behave!

He can’t trust the people. They WILL meet in groups, they will travel unnecessarily, they will refuse to wear a mask. How can he trust them when they had consistently proved they are unworthy of that trust?

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
He can’t trust the people. They WILL meet in groups, they will travel unnecessarily, they will refuse to wear a mask. How can he trust them when they had consistently proved they are unworthy of that trust?

I suppose we, the more pragmatic, could just sit back, in our bubbles, and watch Coronavirus take it's toll on the untrustworthy!

B

Bad_Influence

I suppose we, the more pragmatic, could just sit back, in our bubbles, and watch Coronavirus take it's toll on the untrustworthy!

That is exactly what the majority are doing sadly.

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
That is exactly what the majority are doing sadly.

Dunno about the majority.
Christmas will be the testing time. I believe that a large majority will do their best to obey the rules.
Boris should lay it on thick that it is one's duty, no less, to do so. ;);)

Back