Phrases which irritate me .Do you have any?

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Some common phrases which are in everyday use do irritate me .
The main one i can think of is Act your age. The very word act suggests that we are programmed ,as humans , to rehearse and act out our different stages of ageing . Is there a set of rules( a script ?) which dictates what we should act like at these different stages of life ?.
I`m not as eloquent as many are on here but i think my words will be understood :).

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
'How has your day been', when asked makes me feel as if they want to know what have I been doing all day, it feels like that they think:rolleyes: I have been doing nothing apart from sitting on my bum all day!

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Some common phrases which are in everyday use do irritate me .
The main one i can think of is Act your age. The very word act suggests that we are programmed ,as humans , to rehearse and act out our different stages of ageing . Is there a set of rules( a script ?) which dictates what we should act like at these different stages of life ?.
I`m not as eloquent as many are on here but i think my words will be understood :).

I know it gets a very bad press but there are times when no other inquiry can be more suitable than the evergreen: "Do you come here often?" ;)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
There was a time when people would say "definitely" when questioned about a topic .Since the 1980`s i think it`s been altered to "absolutely" .
"Don`t you think that the sea in Cornwall is a beautiful Blue ?"...answer "Absolutely". A simple"yes " might suffice :). My opinion is that this was a word used by the upper crust which was nicked by the lower crust who like to imagine that they are upper crust :D

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Reminds me of 'newspeak' from the novel 1984. If something is 'good' that the only word we would need, if its not good we wouldn't need any additional words, could simply say it's 'ungood'. We could probably get the English language down to a few hundred words. :rolleyes:

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Yet another word/phrase which gets up my nose is " You have to earn" respect " !! .What does that mean ? I went to work and earned money so thjat i could live and build. I`ve never heard such rubbish as having to learn respect ! . I presume it`s a reward for doing or saying the right thing to the right person(s) which is even sillier .

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Another pet hate, one which I constantly have to live with is 'What are they thinking!' I do not know what they are thinking, I am not a mind reader! Grrr!

Back