Buzzwords

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Just asked the other half what a 'Karen' was and got told if i don't know I'm definitely not 'Woke' :rolleyes:. I suspect it might be for the best, seeing as I'm a white, lower middle-class, nimby, "don't mind illegal-immigrants as long as they don't come and live next door" type of person.

I too am baffled by the use of the term 'a Karen', until I looked up the definition. Not the Urban Dictionary one, of course.
Apparently it is 'a member of an indigenous people of eastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand'.
So, I cannot understand why people are referring to a remote ethnic people who probably never use U.K. chat rooms.

Might I also add that a variety of forenames have been used over the years, usually as a form of derogation.
An extra point for getting 'woke' into your comment too.
:)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
I knew there was another buzzword that I had overlooked which is still getting the occasional mention in the media, namely, 'quantitative easing'
It's just another diversionary euphemism which the media is using to deflect the issue of financial embarrassment to the country.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
And, you can never escape the ubiquitous, "worst case scenario"! Using the phrase IS now becoming the worst case scenario!!!
:rolleyes:

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
This week's most overused idiom just has to be 'no brainer'!!!
I'm beginning to think that is in common usage by people without a brain.

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
'Ramping up' seems to be getting uttered quite often in the Corona press briefings.

Am I to take it your permission to access the chat rooms has been denied and that you are now suspended (Banned)?
I only enquire because you appear to be ramping up your exasperation with the site, i'd desist if I were you. There's an old saying "He who fights a battle he knows he can't win - is a fool" :rolleyes:
I might have guessed names who would "like " this post :)

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Just asked the other half what a 'Karen' was and got told if i don't know I'm definitely not 'Woke' :rolleyes:. I suspect it might be for the best, seeing as I'm a white, lower middle-class, nimby, "don't mind illegal-immigrants as long as they don't come and live next door" type of person.
I guess that means you are a "snob" then ?

hell2bwith76

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
And the latest in the Covid 19 list from the Government is "circuit breaker" referring to a method to control Cvid using quick ,sharp breaks in normal life.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
And the latest in the Covid 19 list from the Government is "circuit breaker" referring to a method to control Cvid using quick ,sharp breaks in normal life.

Yes. Will we ever need one again to protect us from electrocution? Trust a pandemic to bring about whole new meanings to words.
Somebody within the government must be trawling the dictionary for the next blockbuster.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Here's another one I overlooked that has been used by the 'comedic cognoscenti': 'Covidiot' - obviously someone who fails to maintain their own and other people's health and safety in the current global climate.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Two more examples of modern-day exasperation - because only this new generation has ever been frustrated! YAY! :

1. 'mic drop' - even when you aren't even using a microphone!
2. 'quit rage' - like no one has ever not suddenly ceased from doing anything before!

They'll be trying to re-invent the thing that goes round and round on vehicles next!!!

GJ14

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
If I may participate, another Coronavirus beauty and a new one, because Circuit Breaker wasn't enough. We in wales are now in a Fire Break Lockdown. Same thing, and there is no fire.
Also, Anti-Maskers. I cannot even give that one any more of my time here. Add your own thoughts.

And, Not Coronavirus related, but watch this space... 'Blue sky thinking'. I'm not sure why this irks me, but it does. It just seems very basic to describe a thought process.

That is all. Stay safe!!

azureblue

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I knew there was another buzzword that I had overlooked which is still getting the occasional mention in the media, namely, 'quantitative easing'
It's just another diversionary euphemism which the media is using to deflect the issue of financial embarrassment to the country.
May I point out that 'quantitive easing' is not a media buzzword. It describes a policy when a central bank e.g. Bank of England will purchase government bonds in order to increase the money supply, it's a good short term fix but it does risk leading to inflation.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
May I point out that 'quantitive easing' is not a media buzzword. It describes a policy when a central bank e.g. Bank of England will purchase government bonds in order to increase the money supply, it's a good short term fix but it does risk leading to inflation.

The whole point of this thread was to draw attention to single words or short phrases that have suddenly become popular in usage by the media.
It was not to dispute why certain terminology is being used, as demonstrated by the in-vogue 'circuit breaker'.
If you have any issues about it, take it up with the media, not me.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
"Reset" seems to be the Government's latest buzzword. Another word that now seems to be cropping up is "Efficacy", like in the efficacy of a vaccine. I had to google this word, it means "effectiveness". Why don't they just say that, why has the English language so many words that mean the same? :rolleyes:

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
"Reset" seems to be the Government's latest buzzword. Another word that now seems to be cropping up is "Efficacy", like in the efficacy of a vaccine. I had to google this word, it means "effectiveness". Why don't they just say that, why has the English language so many words that mean the same? :rolleyes:

Look up the World Economic Forum..
The Great reset.
Boris, Biden and Trudeau have all said we need to "Build Back better".. Lifted straight from the WEF site.
Also check out the new NHS Reset initiative for post Covid ;)

As for the Efficacy, it's a whole other ball game than Efficiency.
As you state, efficacy means effective, but efficiency has an efficacy of it's own.
Is it effective to save lives with a lockdown... Short term possibly (jury is still out).
Is it efficient.. No
Why..
Because long term there may well be more deaths due to the desire for immediate efficacy.
It's a logic argument, not an emotional one.
Current "Best Guess" is 200,000 additional deaths due to lockdown over 5 years.
From undiagnosed illness and the need for "Catching Up" with delayed and cancelled treatments.
Anyway, chat time :)

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
It wasn't until recently that I found out that 'pegging' now has an entirely different definition in current, unorthodox English dictionaries.
It is now also more frequently used in the media, fortunately after the prescribed watershed, but seemingly entering general usage.
If you would like an in-depth 'definition' of the word in its newest context, I suggest you check it out in the Urban Dictionary.
I think this could be a real 'buzz' word taking into account what is involved.

Zo_So

'This is the mystery of the quotient..' LZ
Reaction score
I hate the word 'buzzword'....

GJ14

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
It wasn't until recently that I found out that 'pegging' now has an entirely different definition in current, unorthodox English dictionaries.
It is now also more frequently used in the media, fortunately after the prescribed watershed, but seemingly entering general usage.
If you would like an in-depth 'definition' of the word in its newest context, I suggest you check it out in the Urban Dictionary.
I think this could be a real 'buzz' word taking into account what is involved.
Well well... seems every day really is a school day, even for those that appear highly educated on all subjects.
Is this a new context? I would be interested to know , I have been aware of it in this 'general usage' context for at least 6 years now. I did not realise some folk see this as 'new'.
How beautiful we can all be educated and add such enrichment to our vocabulary. Truly what chat was made for.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
Well well... seems every day really is a school day, even for those that appear highly educated on all subjects.
Is this a new context? I would be interested to know , I have been aware of it in this 'general usage' context for at least 6 years now. I did not realise some folk see this as 'new'.
How beautiful we can all be educated and add such enrichment to our vocabulary. Truly what chat was made for.

I like to think that I AM educated in things that really matter, not trivial 'pop culture'. Hence I added this as a buzzword (i.e. a word that is currently in popular use.) Rightly or wrongly.
The changing of the meaning of an established word in the dictionary only proves to me that there are few new words in the English language only ludicrous changes to their meaning.
I imagine that this 'practice' has been going on for decades, if not centuries, in one form or another.
Your knowledge of it being used for a number of years only suggests that you are more aware of developments of this nature than I am.
This has not enriched my vocabulary at all. It has only served to condemn the abuse of the greatest language on earth.

And finally might I add: chat was meant for chat rooms not Forums. You only have to look at a few of the threads to see how disastrously that is heading.

Back