Teams Pressured into name changes

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I see the Washington Redskins football team are being forced to drop the 'Redskins' name. But is it cultural appropriation or celebration? Whatever it is It appears to be spreading because the Exeter Chiefs rugby team is coming under the same pressure. A sorry state of affairs.

MrFaustian

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Many of the sports branding of U.S teams was done out of respect for the defeated native tribes

Respect of the fallen enemy that fought gallantly

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Many of the sports branding of U.S teams was done out of respect for the defeated native tribes

Respect of the fallen enemy that fought gallantly

Well perhaps they could help those same tribes out.
Seems to me a purely virtuous BS move.

Why not address the rampant unemployment, the rate of alcholism, numbers of suicides, domestic violence stats, poor education prospects, etc etc etc?
Surely that would be better than "Respecting a fallen enemy" who the US government has kept under the boot of poverty?

But nah, we will settle for changing a name of a team.

liam222

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Why is it only stuff that offends liberals that needs to change?

Liberal people do a lot of things that offend me and many others but we don't demand they make changes

It's the same with statues, they're happy to vandalise a Winston Churchill statue but would they be okay if someone say vandalised the Karl Marx statue, I very much doubt it

Last edited:

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It's vital that people stop giving in to these demands or there will be no end to it. Where there is true offence caused, then change is justified but it seems that a lot of it is people exerting power just for the sake of it.

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I mean whats next.
Manchester United and Manchester City have to change thier names due to the possibility it might offend the Romans.. er Italians?

BeanoTDog

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
I always saw the Redskins as a bit of a ‘salute’ to the U.S. heritage. The fans were proud of the name. Players past and present were proud.
The franchise never belittled native Americans, I just think it’s a small group of people who are putting fear into wealthy people with money invested.
This world is going nuts……….rich and powerful people are only doing what they think will make them popular or politically correct.

SamBally

Dance with me until the sun rises!
Reaction score
Native Americans began publicly campaigning in the 1960s.

It only took 55+ years to force change.

liam222

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Native Americans get on my nerves

Just because they were there first they think they can dictate how others behave?

Could you imagine native English people behaving the same way over here? It would be deemed as offensive, so it should be the same for them

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The Kansas City Chiefs are flying under the radar with their 'Tomahawk chop'...

liam222

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Many English Natives do behave in the same manner - There has been ample proof of it in this very forum.

Not sure if you posted your comment in order to call people out or that you are really convinced of what you are saying.

Hopefully for you, it's the former.
Some do but it's a lot rarer;

Also they're usually shouted down when they do, unlike native Americans who seem to be encouraged

liam222

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
It’s usually the same people shouting that native Americans were there first therefore their hermits should be respected, who also shout that OUR heritage should be destroyed in the name of diversity. I’m still not sure how they justify both opinions in their little minds.
They're just confused mate

Back