Moderated Rooms, is there a real need?

Do chatters like having mods in all the rooms?

• I like moderated chat and it makes me feel safe.

• I'd prefer a mod that knows the room to stay and join in.

• I'd like to be able to call a mod when required.

• I prefer unmoderated chat, only coming in when required

• No mods please. i like free speech

• I really dont care if the chat is moded or not

Results are only viewable after voting.

SuperNova

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Why does everyone refer to mods banning..........it is so childish really. Most peeps just talk crip and there is nothing wrong with that, thats how chat room first started in early 2000. In my opinion its best to have a room which contains the moderators and where people can go and ask them to intervene if they feel threatened.
Yet you asked for mods Jude,, did you tick the wrong box??

Last edited:

SuperNova

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
At least you still on here Ange.... hurry and come back to rooms will ya! :)
Ange has been banned ,, she dared argue with a mod,, i heard banned for life,, this is mods going over board

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Its a toss up between ange or super who makes the best tea :)

SuperNova

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
not really sure its fair that mods are voting for mods,, not in the real real spirit of a vote

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
What do you expect super they so far up each others bums :)

Therooster

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
I am absolutely behind having a mod in the room who joins in with the other chatters and can have fun but is clear with everyone when a line is crossed and acts when needed, a perfect example is Lavender in the Lobby she has just as much fun as anyone else and ads value to the room but is able to take action when needed. its much nicer than feeling someone is just watching waiting for you to trip up and mute or ban. Its so much easier to get behind and respect someone who is part of the community they MOD.

Last edited:

xxlavenderxx

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
thankyou for that therooster. It's really nice hearing positive comments on here

bairy

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
The problem with mods is that they create the problem they are trying to solve.

In any given room you will have a group of people who have become mates over time, and everyone will know what they can and can't say to others in the group. So let's say I jokingly call person B a name as an inside joke, we both laugh about it. Then a mod shows up as an outsider and takes offence on person B's behalf, and starts slapping warnings about despite no one complaining about it.
In other words, the problem didn't exist until a moderator decided that it did, and they are the only ones bothered by it.

Another problem is the accidental hypocrisy. I call person B a name, I get kicked. Later that day person C calls me the same name, but the mod isn't watching so they don't. Bam. Hypocrisy. Now the mod's authority is able to be questioned.
On the previous iteration of this site we had a person who would come into the room and speak in Spanish. Then she became a moderator, popped in for no reason and started throwing warnings at people for not speaking English. Again, she only cared about the rules once she was supposed to enforce them.. and no one else in the room cared.

It happens over and over again, on this site, on the other site we can't mention, and on the old site. When you have an established group, moderators will always make it worse.

It isn't an issue of free speech, or "if you didn't do anything wrong, you've nothing to worry about", it's the principle that everything is fine and then someone shoves their nose in and suddenly everything isn't fine.

It's also completely unnecessary. Most people don't need nannying. I mean, yes there are people who will whine to the end of time about someone they don't like rather than just block them, but that isn't a moderation issue, it's a self control issue.

LondonGuy

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
What about if mods were anonymous so they log on as Mod 1 , 2 , 3 etc and chat under regular user name when not hosting.

Would that help in anyway.

crusti

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
my issue ain't with their names, it's with all the secrecy.
some people didn't like the idea of mods everywhere, it's was put in place without any warning or consultation.
chatters aren't the owners but the site is nothing without chatters, so why the sudden appeared centre of mods, why not ask the chatters what they want, why nothe let chatters have a say!

there's other issues like why not publicly warn people before than kicks / mutes / bans , it seems bad chatters just dissappear.
I could rant all day, I don't have an issue with mods in general ut it just seems thing happen with no explanation and woe betide anyone who dares to question.

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Yet you asked for mods Jude,, did you tick the wrong box??

No SuperNova what I meant it that there should be a 'Mod room' separate from the other chat rooms... where u can go in and get help if necessary.

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I just come up with the answer lets have a mods room ..so they can moderate each other ...sorted

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Bairy..... If you gonna write a book best not use algebraic notation as some peeps dont understand algebra.
Anyhow ...... A + A = 2A but B x B = B squared so lets hope there are not 2 persons B in the equation.
:rolleyes:

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I just come up with the answer lets have a mods room ..so they can moderate each other ...sorted

Great idea Words........wonder why I didnt think of it.

Words

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I was looking inside your brain jude I stole your idea

Back