Being open to another's opinion, how hard is it?

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Are peoples objective opinions being coloured by what others think of them, not by their own decision making ability.
Does this limit the ability to talk to one another about difficult subjects?
Is this a true or false

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Are peoples objective opinions being coloured by what others think of them, not by their own decision making ability.
Is this a true or false

Personally I don't give a flying fcuk what people think of ME.

I'm just ME...and I can't help but be ME.!

Q

quietfem

were all jock thamsons bairns which just measns were all of the human race so colour has nothing to do wioth it but sadly humans do but not all

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
There is sometimes not much 'being open to others' opinions' in here at times! I think the majority here don't give a flying one about what others think of them. Generally, I don't give a rat's arse what people think of my opinions, but I do adapt the strength of my criticism of an idea if I know another really believes in it or it would offend them if I said it was ridiculous. That's not changing my own view; just being tolerant of someone else's. Unless you disagree. In which case, I'm sorry. Please don't hate me :p

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
It's a lot more complicated than just accepting someone's opinion. A valued and professional opinion is different to some average Joe on the street providing me a random health check just by looking at me. And you shouldn't just accept someone else's opinion as fact. This also depends on the relationship of the person giving you the opinion, and depending on how close that relationship is.
They may not accept that view or opinion and tell you to mind your own business. I think some people feel like their views and opinions are crucial to someone's life, but they may be unwarranted and they will either react in a stern way, or politely tell you that your opinion is not warranted.
How you take this rejection that your opinion does not matter, or is not wanted or needed, will determine the development of the relationship with that person. Let them come to you, and let them ask you for your opinion instead of forcing an opinion on them.

Q

quietfem

opinions are just the other persons thinking even if he/she is profeesionan as they get theres from the past of others eg more so lawyers but education is good if one works there brain to deal with facts

BizarreBabe

The Biz!
Reaction score
My opinions are based on my values not the values other people place upon me.
What people think about me is irrelevant, they're often very wrong about me because they judge me by their standards.

B

Bad_Influence

opinions are just the other persons thinking even if he/she is profeesionan as they get theres from the past of others eg more so lawyers but education is good if one works there brain to deal with facts

What?

Reaction score
So we're sharing our opinions on how we believe other people perceive opinions? If its a topic I know nothing of or a topic which doesn't immediately concern me then I believe that not having an opinion may be a better choice. I do believe though that some people deliberately refuse to look at matters through the eyes of others though as it doesn't ring true with what they believe.

BizarreBabe

The Biz!
Reaction score
So we're sharing our opinions on how we believe other people perceive opinions? If its a topic I know nothing of or a topic which doesn't immediately concern me then I believe that not having an opinion may be a better choice. I do believe though that some people deliberately refuse to look at matters through the eyes of others though as it doesn't ring true with what they believe.

Absolutely, I've had enough of that kind of arrogant attitude now.

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
It's a lot more complicated than just accepting someone's opinion. A valued and professional opinion is different to some average Joe on the street providing me a random health check just by looking at me. And you shouldn't just accept someone else's opinion as fact. This also depends on the relationship of the person giving you the opinion, and depending on how close that relationship is.
They may not accept that view or opinion and tell you to mind your own business. I think some people feel like their views and opinions are crucial to someone's life, but they may be unwarranted and they will either react in a stern way, or politely tell you that your opinion is not warranted.
How you take this rejection that your opinion does not matter, or is not wanted or needed, will determine the development of the relationship with that person. Let them come to you, and let them ask you for your opinion instead of forcing an opinion on them.

Unfortunately, the facility to 'Like' your comment has been removed but nevertheless I agree with what you say.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, BUT, an opinion can only carry weight if it is based on sound logic, judgement and fact.

In the absence of fact, inevitable in practically all philosophical argument, we have to rely on what appears to be the most likely and logical outcome.
In this respect, I strongly believe that some people's opinions are unworthy of acceptance as they do not further the idea/belief/point/conclusion.
I agree with what you say because I consider that your comment to be nearest to the likely, logical outcome.

Graham_55

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Is this a true or false
If we are open minded and mature, then we will listen to the considered and objective views of others even if they are different or even opposed to ours. This is how I understand free speech. What I experience often are situations where the debate becomes personal and insults are traded when others dare to express an alternative view. This suggests to me lack of maturity and frankly childishness. On a professional basis, hearing advice (which is by its nature subjective) means we should way it up, consider the merits, seek a range of views and then come to our own conclusion and take the consequences - and not looking to blame others. The greater the risk, the wider the range of views you should take. Simples.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the facility to 'Like' your comment has been removed but nevertheless I agree with what you say.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, BUT, an opinion can only carry weight if it is based on sound logic, judgement and fact.

In the absence of fact, inevitable in practically all philosophical argument, we have to rely on what appears to be the most likely and logical outcome.
In this respect, I strongly believe that some people's opinions are unworthy of acceptance as they do not further the idea/belief/point/conclusion.
I agree with what you say because I consider that your comment to be nearest to the likely, logical outcome.

I try to think of it from a logical standpoint, but i guess i'm expressing an opinion or viewpoint on others expressing their opinions, warranted or not lol. Expressed opinions are either welcomed or rejected depending on the person you're expressing that opinion on, and how well you know them, will determine how they react to your expressed opinion. I mean if i expressed an opinion on a stranger for example, perhaps based on their clothing or looks, i would more than likely receive a stern warning(possibly including some colourful language and expressive hand gestures) to mind my own business, or the worst case scenario a smack in the mouth for my troubles.

Wojcik

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
If we are open minded and mature, then we will listen to the considered and objective views of others even if they are different or even opposed to ours. This is how I understand free speech. What I experience often are situations where the debate becomes personal and insults are traded when others dare to express an alternative view. This suggests to me lack of maturity and frankly childishness. On a professional basis, hearing advice (which is by its nature subjective) means we should way it up, consider the merits, seek a range of views and then come to our own conclusion and take the consequences - and not looking to blame others. The greater the risk, the wider the range of views you should take. Simples.

The way i understand free speech is that we're able to express it, but comes at a price, either positively or negatively. There are consequences to every action or the things we say to others. Every person is different, so we might not get the same response or reaction to the words we use to express our views and opinions. Some may react in a favourable manner, whereas some more react in a less favourable manner.
The principle of debating someone is finding a common or center ground, and then you can start disagreeing or agreeing with the points that are being made. I've listened to a few debates in the past and the worst ones were where neither side could find common ground and agree on anything either side had to offer to the conversation. This may be due to a lack of experience in debating from either side.
As for professional opinions or medical advice, i think it's important to listen and take action when necessary. But if you don't quite agree with the opinion, you can always ask for a second opinion if you're uncertain or unclear on a diagnosis made by a medical professional. There's nothing wrong in that because you're taking responsibility for your own health and want a greater understanding of your diagnosis.
So there are situations where you can ask for second opinions. Take quotes for work you want doing on your house. If you want the best value for your money, you might look at many different quotes to see which quote suits you and your needs.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
My opinions are based on my values not the values other people place upon me.
What people think about me is irrelevant, they're often very wrong about me because they judge me by their standards.
Succinctly put, that first bit. That should be the sort of thing those 'Live, Laugh, Love' people stencil on their walls!

Back