Greatest British comedy character of all time

J

Jo_King

barney stinson in how i met your mother. what a guy, top notch

Adam Faith as budgie bird, what an amazing character.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BeerBelly

tony and gary were my role models, so i must say "men behaving badly"

J

Jo_King

Not forgetting Rebecca Wrong-Bailey, lasted 5 mins as shadow education minister, far too close to the unions, no wonder kids aren't in school

WickedPerdition

Chat Celebrity of the Decade*.
Reaction score
Not forgetting Rebecca Wrong-Bailey, lasted 5 mins as shadow education minister, far too close to the unions, no wonder kids aren't in school

Maybe if we were discussing politicians and the likes of Rebecca Long-Bailey, then this might be the correct thread.
However, it is not, and therefore should not include any other than anything relating to the subject matter (i.e. Television Comedy Characters)!
Start a new thread if you really consider the topic to be worthwhile.

J

Jo_King

Maybe if we were discussing politicians and the likes of Rebecca Long-Bailey, then this might be the correct thread.
However, it is not, and therefore should not include any other than anything relating to the subject matter (i.e. Television Comedy Characters)!
Start a new thread if you really consider the topic to be worthwhile.
Opening post gave the thread roots, needs to branch out. Stay on base subject but expand it a little, yes? else stagnation sets in, then thread dies. agree, no? then make like a tree and leave. :)

Dong

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Opening post gave the thread roots, needs to branch out. Stay on base subject but expand it a little, yes? else stagnation sets in, then thread dies. agree, no? then make like a tree and leave. :)
Hi!

WickedPerdition

Reaction score

I don't normally resort to being 'blunt' in the Forums but in your case I will make an exception.

1. Your post is irrelevant to the topic.
2. I initiated this thread so I DO know what topic is being discussed, or should be discussed.
3. If the thread HAS run its course then people are unlikely to post further comments.
4. I suggested you start a new thread because you decided to stray from the subject.

Your move ....
:rolleyes:

B

Bad_Influence

I don't normally resort to being 'blunt' in the Forums but in your case I will make an exception.

1. Your post is irrelevant to the topic.
2. I initiated this thread so I DO know what topic is being discussed, or should be discussed.
3. If the thread HAS run its course then people are unlikely to post further comments.
4. I suggested you start a new thread because you decided to stray from the subject.

Your move ....
:rolleyes:

And nobody cares what you think. Get over yourself, you should be used to it by now.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
And nobody cares what you think. Get over yourself, you should be used to it by now.

I may start a new thread: "Are people who comment on your comments basically admirers or stalkers?"
You obviously do not know what irony is, you pitiable ignoramus.

B

Bad_Influence

I may start a new thread: "Are people who comment on your comments basically admirers or stalkers?"
You obviously do not know what irony is, you pitiable ignoramus.

Admirers or stalkers? No, just folk who see a pretentious halfwit when they see one.

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
As an ardent fan of humour, as anyone will attest who follows my posts knows, I would love to hear what people thinks is the best, nay greatest, television comedy character ever created in these beloved isles.
My personal favourite is Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers played by the peerless John Cleese.
He is widely regarded as quite probably, the perfect comedy character creation ever and I for one am not inclined to disagree.
In recent times, I have found Dr Alan Statham in Green Wing, played by Mark Heap, to be another major contender. He just oozes eccentric and surreal brilliance. Why he never got his own series as this character is beyond me.If you've never watched Green Wing, you have surely missed out. I would highly recommend it.
I would never rule out the comic genius of Ronnie Barker. His memorable performances as Norman Stanley Fletcher in Porridge and Albert E. Arkwright in Open All Hours showed that he was very likely the greatest British comic (television) actor of all time. His versatility is without equal.
I also found great delight in Rupert Rigsby in Rising Damp, played impeccably by Leonard Rossiter, who also played Reginald Perrin in The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin, another surreal comic creation.
In recent times I have very much appreciated the crazy antics of Mark Corrigan and Jeremy Usborne in Peep Show played by David Mitchell and Robert Webb. Practically anything that they are in is simply wonderful.
I would be interested to know anyone else's thoughts on the subject.

jenarator202

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
My favourite Comedy programme was Dad's Army, as with a lot of British humour at that time, it was sometimes the understated humour in the background that I found most appealing. John Le Mesurier as Sergeant Arthur Wilson was a great example. However, although I never really found John Cleese that funny, I do agree with you about Ronnie Barker, he was an genius. I also liked Billy Connolly, found his sense of humour somewhat naughty and at time had me crying with laughter.

WickedPerdition

Reaction score
My favourite Comedy programme was Dad's Army, as with a lot of British humour at that time, it was sometimes the understated humour in the background that I found most appealing. John Le Mesurier as Sergeant Arthur Wilson was a great example. However, although I never really found John Cleese that funny, I do agree with you about Ronnie Barker, he was an genius. I also liked Billy Connolly, found his sense of humour somewhat naughty and at time had me crying with laughter.

I specifically asked for British comedy CHARACTERS. That rules out John Cleese as such, but not his character of Basil Fawlty.
Billy Connolly was never in an established comedy character that I am aware of even though he is certainly a humorous man.
I agree with your comments regarding Dad's Army, however.
I am reappraising, in particular, the faultless comic genius of Arthur Lowe as Captain Mainwaring. Absolutely underestimated in his interpretation.
John Le Mesurier was the epitome of cool in his role as Seargeant Wilson. He was born to play the part.
I'll just mention that, by all accounts, David Jason was eager to play Corporal Jones but, and I say quite happily, the part was given to Clive Dunn.
Thanks for your comments.

Back