Should the age where kids are taught about Religion be raised?

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
There is a difference between Christianity and the Christian church. The teachings of Jesus make a good basis for a decent, civilised society. If we can teach those to children without all the hype about 'God', angels etc...I don't think anyone could object to that.

B

Bad_Influence

There is a difference between Christianity and the Christian church. The teachings of Jesus make a good basis for a decent, civilised society. If we can teach those to children without all the hype about 'God', angels etc...I don't think anyone could object to that.

I couldn't agree more. Society is on a downward spiral, decency, morals, respect, discipline and compassion are rapidly becoming things of the past. I believe that we are done as a species unless we get back to teaching kids that the world does not owe them a living, and that actions have consequences.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. Society is on a downward spiral, decency, morals, respect, discipline and compassion are rapidly becoming things of the past. I believe that we are done as a species unless we get back to teaching kids that the world does not owe them a living, and that actions have consequences.

Indeed. Liberals think of themselves as terribly modern and enlightened, but their policies have brought out the worst in human nature. The present state of society proves that children (and adults) actually NEED guidance, discipline and rules to live by.

B

Bad_Influence

Indeed. Liberals think of themselves as terribly modern and enlightened, but their policies have brought out the worst in human nature. The present state of society proves that children (and adults) actually NEED guidance, discipline and rules to live by.

We are told we have to be tolerant of everything and everybody. Minorities, be it ethnic, gender, sexuality, etc... MUST be made to feel equal. But here’s the rub, tolerance has to be mutual or as is the case now it just breeds resentment and bitterness.
For example Gender-neutral is not a thing despite what we are told. You can be asexual, yes, but you are born male or female even if some are mentally and emotionally born into the wrong body. Yet we are told that it’s ok to raise a child as gender neutral. This IS child abuse no matter how The Independent and the BBC dresses it up. It’s about time someone banged these parents heads together and tell them to just stop being silly.

midget_gem

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I think it's a great topic for discussion. I can only talk from my own personal experiences learning about religion in religious education classes.
I didn't really learn a lot about Christianity, and i learnt more about a variety of religion. I was fascinated that Hinduism allowed knives to be carried.
I remember being fascinated by the different cultures and religions that were out there, which is probably a big reason why i gravitated towards history as a subject. These both go hand in hand as subjects. I think we can all agree that historical importance is a good thing.
Do i think different religions should be taught at school? Yes, i think a diverse range of religions should be taught in school, but they must be explained to that these are ideologies. The children can then form views and opinions on what to believe in or follow. You may have children who are influenced by these lessons to take up a certain religion, or they may become atheists who don't believe in the ideologies.
I think it's a great topic for discussion. I can only talk from my own personal experiences learning about religion in religious education classes.
I didn't really learn a lot about Christianity, and i learnt more about a variety of religion. I was fascinated that Hinduism allowed knives to be carried.
I remember being fascinated by the different cultures and religions that were out there, which is probably a big reason why i gravitated towards history as a subject. These both go hand in hand as subjects. I think we can all agree that historical importance is a good thing.
Do i think different religions should be taught at school? Yes, i think a diverse range of religions should be taught in school, but they must be explained to that these are ideologies. The children can then form views and opinions on what to believe in or follow. You may have children who are influenced by these lessons to take up a certain religion, or they may become atheists who don't believe in the ideologies.

now Sectarianism I totally disagree with, especially when to do with religion and the old firm one example....when for an early age its drilled into young babie/kids whos family are big in the orange logde. Yesterday in Glasgow the Orange walk was out. I am not against the orange lodge its just so wrong when u see babies/toddlers/preschoolers walking in the parades. Let them grow up enjoy beginning a kid and let them make the choice when they fully understand about it all. Just think it is so wrong.

midget_gem

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I can see altairs point. Times have moved on as such. But even if religion is still taught in schools and that doesn't change. My point is If i got to , Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea (randomly picked) we have to abide by their rules, regulations, Laws extra. They do not change or wavier for no colour creed and religion, if u do not abide you face the consequences. I think Britain Has got to lenient and panders to much. Oh we must not offend. Yeah u got to move with the times but you have to Abide by the countries laws and rules.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I can see altairs point. Times have moved on as such. But even if religion is still taught in schools and that doesn't change. My point is If i got to , Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea (randomly picked) we have to abide by their rules, regulations, Laws extra. They do not change or wavier for no colour creed and religion, if u do not abide you face the consequences. I think Britain Has got to lenient and panders to much. Oh we must not offend. Yeah u got to move with the times but you have to Abide by the countries laws and rules.

That's absolutely right. These people have chosen to come and live in a country which has a different culture from their own, yet we are expected to fall over backwards to appease them as though they are honoured guests. Being allowed to live in Britain should be regarded as a privilege, not a right.
As regards the Orange Lodge...this is fuelling religious hatred and bigotry, and indoctrinating the little ones to feel the same way. The people of Northern Ireland blame the British for their problems, but they are the ones keeping their communities apart.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
now Sectarianism I totally disagree with, especially when to do with religion and the old firm one example....when for an early age its drilled into young babie/kids whos family are big in the orange logde. Yesterday in Glasgow the Orange walk was out. I am not against the orange lodge its just so wrong when u see babies/toddlers/preschoolers walking in the parades. Let them grow up enjoy beginning a kid and let them make the choice when they fully understand about it all. Just think it is so wrong.

I have Irish blood running through my veins. I was actually brought up as a Catholic. By very strict Catholic parents.

My parents wanted me to train to be a Catholic Priest.! I put them off by telling them that I could not maintain the disciplines required of a Catholic Priest, the celibacy and so on.

I asked Myself a very simple question one day...'If I had NEVER heard of Jesus Christ ' 'If I had NEVER heard of the Miracles of him being raised from the dead'...If someone just walked upto ME and told ME these things, would I believe them?..

My Answer was NO.

Growing up with such Sectarian Beliefs...Everything Splits along those lines..

The moment I lost My Christian Faith, all My Bigotry and all my Sectarian attitudes dissappeared..!

From that moment on, I have been an Athiest.

Science was one of my other passions, which i later went on to study.

JJ50

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Having been subjected to the ghastly, 'you must be 'saved' or burn in hell' dogma as a child, I am of the opinion that children should never be pressured in to accepting a faith. They should be able to make up their own minds on the topic, as our own children were encouraged to do.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Having been subjected to the ghastly, 'you must be 'saved' or burn in hell' dogma as a child, I am of the opinion that children should never be pressured in to accepting a faith. They should be able to make up their own minds on the topic, as our own children were encouraged to do.

Cool... How have 'Your' children progressed so far?...:)

JJ50

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Cool... How have 'Your' children progressed so far?...:)

All three girls are Christians, but very moderate in their views, not Biblical literalists, than goodness. The eldest is a vicar.

ladymuck

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
We can't make anti-Islam comments....we can't make anti-Jewish comments....but presumably it's absolutely fine to criticise the Christian church? I still think that ALL children being educated in British schools should be taught the basic Christian principles. They are, after all, based on the Mosaic teachings so therefore cannot be considered offensive to any other faith. I do object, however, to the indoctrination given by the Catholic church. My own children were educated in Catholic schools and I disagreed with much of what they were taught. Luckily, they had me as their mother and were able to come home and discuss things with me. Once they left school they had nothing more to do with the church, Catholic or otherwise.

Briefencounter56

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
The Brain's of young children are extremely susceptible to what they are told. (and it's something that can be carried on into later life..)

Shouldn't we raise the age to when they are sufficiently Adult enough, to fully understand the implications?

Personally.. i'd BAN the teaching of ALL religions all together...Apart from the Historic aspect.

I'd ban religion totally at school. Maybe inform kids of the dangers of religion when they are old enough to understand. And how it is used to manipulate and control people for the benefit of a few fir often sinister reasons.

S

silentfem

it starts froim parents brain washing kids in there beliefs the youts of today dont follow religions as much which is good

Lucylulu05

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Rather than worry about the age at which it is being taught, perhaps the concern is the approach.
Should we be more focused on teaching kids 'about' religion, rather than offering religion as such.
Maybe semantics but I feel there is a difference

S

silentfem

well religion should be but just to make others understand others beliefs or creeds thats all not to for another point of view down ones throat

Moriarty

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've recently been playing Cyberpunk 2077, great game about a dystopian future.

One of the interviews it has in its news concerns a technology known as the "Relic".
It allows the human consciousness to be downloaded and transfered onto a chip then given freedom on an intra or inter net.
Immortality.
The news article is an argument between someone who supports this technological marvel and a priest.
To the priest it is a question of the "Soul".
The the cybernetics supporter it is simply "Data".

The Priest argues it is a technology only open to those who can afford it.
At that point the host interjects and says "Offering eternal life for a price, that sounds like the church"

Has anyone watched Altered carbon, its not a great series, but it deals with the same question.
Ones "Data" is stored on a chip, which can be "sleeved" into another body after your death, if you can afford it.
Or if you died a violent death to allow you to give evidence at a trial.
Many deem that as blashemy and will not allow it.

The argument of what we are, a soul or simply neurons firing.
Spirit or data.
Is a debate we cannot understand yet.

We have no definitive proof either way.
So to be religous or aethiest is a choice based on denial of the other.
It is theological or scientific dogma.
Niether have a basis in fact.

Back