Trolling needs to stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefffs

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
  • A few months ago, the owners of this site threatened to close this site down because of

the bad behaviour of some chatters here. A couple of weeks later it was back to how it was, if not worse. It has got that bad that some female chatters have said to me they don’t like chatting in the room i.e. Lobby, as the trolls pounce on them and abuse them by nasty and foul name calling.

We have all seen the national media recently about online bullying and how people have committed sucide over it, yet this site seems to condone it by allowing it to continue. Lots of chatters get told too f*** off you silly old c***s, sometimes this even comes from a mod. I think it’s time to seriously think about how the rules need changing.

Chatters are always told to block the trolls however this does not stop the bully from spouting abuse.

On top of that you have trolls wishing other chatters would die and how they have slept with other chatters mums, how would these nasty little trolls like it if their wives, daughters etc were trolled like they do, if the media got too know about how this site is run, I am sure it would be closed down.

So come on admin grow some balls, sort the room out so chatters can chat freely, please!! There are some really lovely chatters here and when we have a good day it’s great, it’s a shame a minority of people have to ruin it for others.

Claire8

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
  • A few months ago, the owners of this site threatened to close this site down because of

the bad behaviour of some chatters here. A couple of weeks later it was back to how it was, if not worse. It has got that bad that some female chatters have said to me they don’t like chatting in the room i.e. Lobby, as the trolls pounce on them and abuse them by nasty and foul name calling.

We have all seen the national media recently about online bullying and how people have committed sucide over it, yet this site seems to condone it by allowing it to continue. Lots of chatters get told too f*** off you silly old c***s, sometimes this even comes from a mod. I think it’s time to seriously think about how the rules need changing.

Chatters are always told to block the trolls however this does not stop the bully from spouting abuse.

On top of that you have trolls wishing other chatters would die and how they have slept with other chatters mums, how would these nasty little trolls like it if their wives, daughters etc were trolled like they do, if the media got too know about how this site is run, I am sure it would be closed down.

So come on admin grow some balls, sort the room out so chatters can chat freely, please!! There are some really lovely chatters here and when we have a good day it’s great, it’s a shame a minority of people have to ruin it for others.

I wish I could love this never mind like it! for some reason people find it so easy to type all kinds and some without actually meaning it, some don't realise how its taken and some just don't care. There are regulars that come on as guests and watch or say stuff, they know stuff about chatters etc and have apparently only just joined. Blocking doesn't help they just return again or discuss you in the room still, easy to say ignore and block when people get nasty and personal.

Also words that are typed, can be hard to understand the meaning behind them, I have found that I joke and it gets taken incorrectly, I just think we are all grown adults and maybe should act accordingly, try to consider if we are taking what is said incorrectly, actually get to know chatters better and be aware of our words as well.

Some say things to gain a reaction I think, seems they enjoy winding people up and just say whatever for affect. I have seen chatters make comments about other chatters parents that have passed away and I just think there are some areas that shouldn't be used against people and passed relatives is one, its just so disrespectful.

I'm sure they wouldn't behave like this in real life, but are happy to behind a screen!

L

lucianthp

• So come on admin grow some balls, sort the room out so chatters can chat freely, please!! There are some really lovely chatters here and when we have a good day it’s great, it’s a shame a minority of people have to ruin it for others.

The problem with 'let chatters chat freely', is where do you draw the line as to when this becomes a problem? I'm sure you've seen prolonged, sometimes subtle harassment of chatters by others in order to get a response, as well as more direct insults between people who use the same room but don't like each other. I've certainly certainly have.
However mods say 'use block' and I think rightly so (ok it's not the most helpful advice from your perspective, I admit); if you can't actually ignore abuse from someone who's pushing for a reaction (and sometimes this is what it is - getting the attention is what they want) then block them - their words can't get to you.. Time and again I've seen people react to 'trolls' and end up getting upset, warned or banned during the exchange and this is exactly what the instigator wants - a reaction..

There are a few dicks on here I'll admit (including me for some people), but I don't think they should be banned or kicked out for being dicks, or for expressing their views on things that they feel is right - I refer back to the 'chat freely' that you mention - Should you be banned for telling admin to grow some balls? Of course not.

I get what you mean about uncalled for direct insults though; they are unnecessary and it's genuinely unpleasant to witness it happen when you can see it's upsetting the recipient, but a similar situation can occur when someone expresses an opinion that someone else, or a group, disagree with. so should the group be banned for insulting an opinion?

And yes, I've had a couple of beers so I shall shut up now (that said a brief synopsis of what I've just typed would be greatly appreciated in the morning)

B

Bad_Influence

Sadly, I think we will always have certain people who only come here to cause trouble. That's not to say UkChat is any worse than other sites, it certainly isn't, but as Jeff said, blocking someone who is abusing chatters en masse simply does not work to solve the issue. I know admin will say if you block the troll they will give up, but that is so rarely the case, they just move onto somebody else. I'm sure we all know the regular members who keep coming back to continue their agenda of spoiling chat.
I accept the mods have certain rules they have to adhere to regarding 'trolling', but it does appear that it's those who react to the trolls (usually decent chatters who just want a fun room) who end up getting banned.
I only use YAH after midnight and we generally only get the same one or two feckwits in there. It is generally well modded simply because the mods know us all and allow us to have a laugh, but their hands are tied when it comes to dealing with trouble makers.
I'm not completely innocent, I will venture into the Lobby to have a bit of fun playing with the trolls on occasion, but it's a sad state of affairs that I know there will be trolls to play with before I go in. I would never go in there otherwise, because it is merely an online kindergarten with the locals stomping their feet, throwing their toys out of their prams, and generally being the embarrassing kid in the supermarket.
Certain trolls can be funny and can add to a room, it's just sad that all too often they turn to personal abuse when they realise everyone is laughing AT them rather than WITH them.
I do disagree with Jeff on one point he made however. He suggests that if the media knew about this site it would be closed down... that is not borne out by what we see elsewhere. You only have to look at FB, Instagrump and Twatter to see that abuse is seen as the norm and un-policable.
I don't believe it's a case of admin growing a pair, just maybe giving their mods the opportunity to use their own initiative to stamp on the repeat offenders BEFORE they totally ruin the room by dragging decent chatters down to the point they get banned.

To quote Caroline Flack (who was quoting somebody else)... "In a world where you can be anything, be kind".

B

Bad_Influence

Just a suggestion... when you reply to a comment, hit your ENTER key before typing. That should stop your reply being in blue and being hidden when it's a long post. :)

Paulyscott

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
'Tis a shame, we can't all get on. With opinions etc, like Clint Eastwood's "Dirty Harry" character once said: Opinions are like a***holes, everyone's GOT one!"

Claire8

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
So my response/comment is hidden under jefffs as I replied to him, so I am putting it here now. I wish I could love this never mind like it! for some reason some people find it so easy to type all kinds of things and some without actually meaning it, some don't realise how its taken and some just don't care. There are regulars that come on as guests and watch or say stuff, they know stuff about chatters etc and have apparently only just joined. Blocking doesn't help they just return again or discuss you in the room still, easy to say ignore and block, when people get personal and nasty.

Also words that are typed, can be hard to understand the meaning behind them, I have found that I joke and its get taken incorrectly. I just think we are all grown adults and maybe should act accordingly, try to consider if we are taking what is said incorrectly, actually get to know chatters better and be aware of our words as well.

Some people say things to gain a reaction I think, seems they enjoy winding people up and say whatever for affect. I have seen chatters make comments about other chatters parents who have passed away and I just think there are some areas that shouldn't be used against people and passed relatives is one, its just so disrespectful.

I am sure they wouldn't behave like this in real life, but are quite happy to behind a screen!

Claire8

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Just a suggestion... when you reply to a comment, hit your ENTER key before typing. That should stop your reply being in blue and being hidden when it's a long post. :)

I did i think lol, tried again but ended up just doing a new reply ty :p

Miss_Understanding

The chances are, I don’t care
Staff member
Reaction score
Has everyone lost the ability to use block?! If the rules of the site are broken, people are banned. But if the rules of the site aren’t broken you should use block and stop being so sensitive

B

Bad_Influence

Has everyone lost the ability to use block?! If the rules of the site are broken, people are banned. But if the rules of the site aren’t broken you should use block and stop being so sensitive

Block is pointless. It does not cure the problem, it just moves it on to someone else. If a mod gets abuse the abuser gets banned, why is it not the same for everyone?

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
Block is pointless. It does not cure the problem, it just moves it on to someone else. If a mod gets abuse the abuser gets banned, why is it not the same for everyone?
It does though, if a moron here to cause trouble loses its audience it disappears. Personally abuse has to be severe for me to ban for mod abuse, but being realistic mods can’t use their block can they? Because then they can’t see chatters to mod them. And there’s the difference

B

Bad_Influence

It does though, if a moron here to cause trouble loses its audience it disappears. Personally abuse has to be severe for me to ban for mod abuse, but being realistic mods can’t use their block can they? Because then they can’t see chatters to mod them. And there’s the difference

You don't believe that they just leave anymore than I do.
Don't get me wrong, I know you more do a very difficult job here and the majority appreciate that, and yes I understand why you can't block, but to say if the trolls are ignored they will leave is just wrong, they don't and they never have.

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't believe that they just leave anymore than I do.
Don't get me wrong, I know you more do a very difficult job here and the majority appreciate that, and yes I understand why you can't block, but to say if the trolls are ignored they will leave is just wrong, they don't and they never have.
I have never seen a whole room ignore a troll either by pure ignorance or by blocking. Maybe people should put it to the test ;-)

I’m not even typing to big up the mods or look for glory, i am simply saying that if a rule of the site is broken, people are banned. If a rule of the site isn’t broken, and people can’t use block then they can’t really complain about this.

take into account that most of the people that are being complained about, are regular users, whether it’s a registered account or a guest name. So it would be so easy to block these names and move on. Instead we have a drama induced forum post for people to complain on, and get upset when a different view is posted

B

Bad_Influence

I have never seen a whole room ignore a troll either by pure ignorance or by blocking. Maybe people should put it to the test ;-)

I’m not even typing to big up the mods or look for glory, i am simply saying that if a rule of the site is broken, people are banned. If a rule of the site isn’t broken, and people can’t use block then they can’t really complain about this.

take into account that most of the people that are being complained about, are regular users, whether it’s a registered account or a guest name. So it would be so easy to block these names and move on. Instead we have a drama induced forum post for people to complain on, and get upset when a different view is posted

I agree that if EVERYONE blocked them they might leave but that's wholly unrealistic. It's never happened and never will. For example MrRendering (aka SBG), he's been banned so often for abuse its like putting a sticking plaster on a broken leg and hoping it heals. Everyone knows it won't but at least a temporary measure has been taken. As I said before, I'm not blaming the mods, I know you have guidelines to follow, but it seems odd to me that the same idiots are allowed to ruin a good room every time when that could so easily be prevented.

milkmonitor

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
lizard posts a song called dead wren. is asked 'is that at me' by wren. says 'tis'. see post^^^

if ure coming here wishing chatters dead within 2 mins of logging in. should maybe be due a break. no matter how annoying you find that chatter

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that if EVERYONE blocked them they might leave but that's wholly unrealistic. It's never happened and never will. For example MrRendering (aka SBG), he's been banned so often for abuse its like putting a sticking plaster on a broken leg and hoping it heals. Everyone knows it won't but at least a temporary measure has been taken. As I said before, I'm not blaming the mods, I know you have guidelines to follow, but it seems odd to me that the same idiots are allowed to ruin a good room every time when that could so easily be prevented.
I just fail to see how someone can ruin your chat experience if you can't see what they're saying :) #shouldershrug

Miss_Understanding

Staff member
Reaction score
It's every individuals choice to block what they do not wish to read.

It's also every users choice to read or ignore whatever they choose.

High drama !!

Where are the Sausages ?
Hopefully in your oven I'm starving x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back