Making UkChat better

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiggleWiggle

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
I would agree with this short statement!.. '''Welcome others as you would want to be welcomed yourself''' I hope it works

Badmedicine

UKChat Familiar
Reaction score
Tbh ….and I wasn't really goin to make a comment but

I don't see what the big hang up is with guests anyway ...your a guest or your a full member ?
errrmm..….whats the difference ?..to who does it matter like ?..

if you wanna be one be one if not register ?...

stop complicating things an moaning lol

Clarity

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Guests should be allowed after all thats how we get new users in, registered chatters need to be more friendly to guests encourage them to register in time. Registered users only rooms do not work look at YAH? Numbers are too low without guests . If a guests pms you and you do not like it either ignore or turn your pms off.

As for the whole statement about reporting an issue to mods i do but not always affective ... depends on the mod thats in and 1 in particular is very rude.

Your always going to get trolls, people need to learn to block, sadly many won't as most enjoy the drama.

Nature of a chat site!

B

Bad_Influence

Guests should be allowed after all thats how we get new users in, registered chatters need to be more friendly to guests encourage them to register in time. Registered users only rooms do not work look at YAH? Numbers are too low without guests . If a guests pms you and you do not like it either ignore or turn your pms off.

As for the whole statement about reporting an issue to mods i do but not always affective ... depends on the mod thats in and 1 in particular is very rude.

Your always going to get trolls, people need to learn to block, sadly many won't as most enjoy the drama.

Nature of a chat site!

While ignoring is the right choice, there will always be those who allow the trolls to ruin a room. Sadly that’s just the way of chat rooms (I am as guilty as any for playing with trolls). We needs those trolls to be dealt with if we are to get rid. At the moment it’s too easy for mods to say “Use block” instead of dealing with the source they are told to deal with the aftermath. :(

pee

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I randomly logged in last week to be told im banned for ban evasion i have never been banned before ever could this be reviewed pls

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191122-190501_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191122-190501_Chrome.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 2

TheDalaiDrama

Scum of the Earth!
Reaction score
You share a partial ip connection with a permabanned troll. Undoing it would allow that person to also come back and at the current climate, it's just not a possibility.

pee

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
You share a partial ip connection with a permabanned troll. Undoing it would allow that person to also come back and at the current climate, it's just not a possibility.
Really ? I didn't know that was possible but I understand what your saying ,is there any other way that I could get back in what if i wasnt to use my fone

TheDalaiDrama

Scum of the Earth!
Reaction score
Give it a shot!

Henry9999

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
I think swearing should not be tolerated as freely as it is now. Using the c word f word etc in open chat rooms is not something that encourages a lively and friendly chat. I am not sure of your idea that younger people favour more swearing? I think setting the bar higher on this aspect would help.

TheDalaiDrama

Scum of the Earth!
Reaction score
Adults should be able to control what they say and tune out what isn't pleasing to them. We shouldn't have to censor.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those of you with guest problems, have you tried this?
DGCxiHR.gif

whomenare

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
In order to survive, UkChat needs to change. WE NEED YOUR HELP. It's up to you, the chatters, to help make this site a better place. It can't be done with policy changes alone.

Here is what you can do:
  • Be friendly to guests. This is how new chatters view the site for the first time. If you ignore them they will leave, and then everyone misses out on the chance to make a new friend. We want this site to grow.
  • Avoid setting a hostile tone in public chat. If there is a lot of hostility going around do your best to break it up. Change the subject. Tell a good joke. Don't get baited in to it. The moderators cannot set the tone of chat - that is primarily up to the people chatting.
  • Don't feed the trolls. Related to above. There are people on this site who's only joy in life is attempting to get a rise out of other chatters. Don't fall for it and engage with them. If you see someone feeding a troll, PM them and explain why they should not engage.
  • Report ban evaders. If you know someone is banned and they have came back under a different name, please immediately report them.
  • Report rule breakers. If you believe someone is breaking the rules, click their name, and select report. Please be clear about what the issue is in the reason. Remember that moderators cannot read private messages, so without screenshots/proof they generally cannot act. If someone is harassing you in private try using the block function.

We are of course making some policy changes as well:
  • Cursing will be allowed. We realize this is controversial with some of the older chatters. It is not our intention to offend anyone's sensibilities but the truth is that times have changed and minor cursing is now considered acceptable in general conversation. This is not a free pass for people to go around hurling insults or otherwise intentionally offend others.
  • Minor sexual references will be allowed. See reasoning above.
  • Moderators will generally warn before banning. Chatters need to be given a chance to rectify their behavior before being banned. This rule obviously does not apply to spammers, ban evaders, etc.
  • Moderators will be given discretion to ban trolls. Trolling (repeatedly intentionally getting a rise out of others) is unfortunately a constant issue on UkChat. It is now officially against the rules.
  • Moderators actions will be subject to administrative review. There will be more accountability within the moderation team. Moderators are chosen because we believe they have good judgment. The administration will occasionally review their actions to ensure this is the case.
  • Harassment of the moderators will not be permitted. Let's be clear about this one. Disagreeing with a moderator is not a bannable offense. Going on for 10 minutes about how stupid you think they are is. Moderators are volunteers and are doing their best to make this site work smoothly. They do the best they can and do not deserve this type of abuse.
In order to survive, UkChat needs to change. WE NEED YOUR HELP. It's up to you, the chatters, to help make this site a better place. It can't be done with policy changes alone.

Here is what you can do:
  • Be friendly to guests. This is how new chatters view the site for the first time. If you ignore them they will leave, and then everyone misses out on the chance to make a new friend. We want this site to grow.
  • Avoid setting a hostile tone in public chat. If there is a lot of hostility going around do your best to break it up. Change the subject. Tell a good joke. Don't get baited in to it. The moderators cannot set the tone of chat - that is primarily up to the people chatting.
  • Don't feed the trolls. Related to above. There are people on this site who's only joy in life is attempting to get a rise out of other chatters. Don't fall for it and engage with them. If you see someone feeding a troll, PM them and explain why they should not engage.
  • Report ban evaders. If you know someone is banned and they have came back under a different name, please immediately report them.
  • Report rule breakers. If you believe someone is breaking the rules, click their name, and select report. Please be clear about what the issue is in the reason. Remember that moderators cannot read private messages, so without screenshots/proof they generally cannot act. If someone is harassing you in private try using the block function.

We are of course making some policy changes as well:
  • Cursing will be allowed. We realize this is controversial with some of the older chatters. It is not our intention to offend anyone's sensibilities but the truth is that times have changed and minor cursing is now considered acceptable in general conversation. This is not a free pass for people to go around hurling insults or otherwise intentionally offend others.
  • Minor sexual references will be allowed. See reasoning above.
  • Moderators will generally warn before banning. Chatters need to be given a chance to rectify their behavior before being banned. This rule obviously does not apply to spammers, ban evaders, etc.
  • Moderators will be given discretion to ban trolls. Trolling (repeatedly intentionally getting a rise out of others) is unfortunately a constant issue on UkChat. It is now officially against the rules.
  • Moderators actions will be subject to administrative review. There will be more accountability within the moderation team. Moderators are chosen because we believe they have good judgment. The administration will occasionally review their actions to ensure this is the case.
  • Harassment of the moderators will not be permitted. Let's be clear about this one. Disagreeing with a moderator is not a bannable offense. Going on for 10 minutes about how stupid you think they are is. Moderators are volunteers and are doing their best to make this site work smoothly. They do the best they can and do not deserve this type of abuse.

whomenare

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Have spent half an hour going from room to room and not one hello, also have seen some regs complaining that they are now being forced to say hello to total strangers, think that makes a mockery of these new rules don't you, thought that is what chat was, saying hello to strangers, maybe it's just me then, so go ahead and shut the site as then i could get more chat out of others.

BlackMagicBabeXx

“Shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.”
Reaction score
Tbh ….and I wasn't really goin to make a comment but

I don't see what the big hang up is with guests anyway ...your a guest or your a full member ?
errrmm..….whats the difference ?..to who does it matter like ?..

if you wanna be one be one if not register ?...

stop complicating things an moaning

Tsk

Clarity

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Have spent half an hour going from room to room and not one hello, also have seen some regs complaining that they are now being forced to say hello to total strangers, think that makes a mockery of these new rules don't you, thought that is what chat was, saying hello to strangers, maybe it's just me then, so go ahead and shut the site as then i could get more chat out of others.
Take your point there.. some peolle have known others for years and are busy chatting with regs dont often see others.

Dantheman

UKChat Expert
Reaction score

tbh, i do that, i say hello and no1 notices you, i think it's because chatters are too busy chatting away that they tend to not see you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back