Making UkChat better

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMagicBabeXx

“Shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.”
Reaction score
The problem is some guests are coming in on different names and trolling then they delete that name and come in on another guest name and so adfinitum and in the meantime we have to be nice to them.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Common sentiment but.. This will shrink the site, not grow it. Nobody is going to sign up just to see what the chat is like. All new users start as guests before they decide it's worth it to create an account. This isn't just a hunch - analytics back this up.

ok hows a bout a guest room only ?

cervedair

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
In order to survive, UkChat needs to change. WE NEED YOUR HELP. It's up to you, the chatters, to help make this site a better place. It can't be done with policy changes alone.

Here is what you can do:
  • Be friendly to guests. This is how new chatters view the site for the first time. If you ignore them they will leave, and then everyone misses out on the chance to make a new friend. We want this site to grow.
  • Avoid setting a hostile tone in public chat. If there is a lot of hostility going around do your best to break it up. Change the subject. Tell a good joke. Don't get baited in to it. The moderators cannot set the tone of chat - that is primarily up to the people chatting.
  • Don't feed the trolls. Related to above. There are people on this site who's only joy in life is attempting to get a rise out of other chatters. Don't fall for it and engage with them. If you see someone feeding a troll, PM them and explain why they should not engage.
  • Report ban evaders. If you know someone is banned and they have came back under a different name, please immediately report them.
  • Report rule breakers. If you believe someone is breaking the rules, click their name, and select report. Please be clear about what the issue is in the reason. Remember that moderators cannot read private messages, so without screenshots/proof they generally cannot act. If someone is harassing you in private try using the block function.

We are of course making some policy changes as well:
  • Cursing will be allowed. We realize this is controversial with some of the older chatters. It is not our intention to offend anyone's sensibilities but the truth is that times have changed and minor cursing is now considered acceptable in general conversation. This is not a free pass for people to go around hurling insults or otherwise intentionally offend others.
  • Minor sexual references will be allowed. See reasoning above.
  • Moderators will generally warn before banning. Chatters need to be given a chance to rectify their behavior before being banned. This rule obviously does not apply to spammers, ban evaders, etc.
  • Moderators will be given discretion to ban trolls. Trolling (repeatedly intentionally getting a rise out of others) is unfortunately a constant issue on UkChat. It is now officially against the rules.
  • Moderators actions will be subject to administrative review. There will be more accountability within the moderation team. Moderators are chosen because we believe they have good judgment. The administration will occasionally review their actions to ensure this is the case.
  • Harassment of the moderators will not be permitted. Let's be clear about this one. Disagreeing with a moderator is not a bannable offense. Going on for 10 minutes about how stupid you think they are is. Moderators are volunteers and are doing their best to make this site work smoothly. They do the best they can and do not deserve this type of abuse.
ok will do my best o/

Paolo

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
I have made members only rooms, other than YAH. As soon as it goes members only, no one uses it.
Such as the ill fated TheAlternative room. One suggestion I have which would address the mistrust of guests, would be - if possible - to disable the Private Message option until the user has registered.

Pink8

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
In order to survive, UkChat needs to change. WE NEED YOUR HELP. It's up to you, the chatters, to help make this site a better place. It can't be done with policy changes alone.

Here is what you can do:
  • Be friendly to guests. This is how new chatters view the site for the first time. If you ignore them they will leave, and then everyone misses out on the chance to make a new friend. We want this site to grow.
  • Avoid setting a hostile tone in public chat. If there is a lot of hostility going around do your best to break it up. Change the subject. Tell a good joke. Don't get baited in to it. The moderators cannot set the tone of chat - that is primarily up to the people chatting.
  • Don't feed the trolls. Related to above. There are people on this site who's only joy in life is attempting to get a rise out of other chatters. Don't fall for it and engage with them. If you see someone feeding a troll, PM them and explain why they should not engage.
  • Report ban evaders. If you know someone is banned and they have came back under a different name, please immediately report them.
  • Report rule breakers. If you believe someone is breaking the rules, click their name, and select report. Please be clear about what the issue is in the reason. Remember that moderators cannot read private messages, so without screenshots/proof they generally cannot act. If someone is harassing you in private try using the block function.

• Cursing will be allowed. We realize this is controversial with some of the older chatters. It is not our intention to offend anyone's sensibilities but the truth is that times have changed and minor cursing is now considered acceptable in general conversation. This is not a free pass for people to go around hurling insults or otherwise intentionally offend others.
  • Moderators will generally warn before banning. Chatters need to be given a chance to rectify their behavior before being banned. This rule obviously does not apply to spammers, ban evaders, etc.
  • Moderators will be given discretion to ban trolls. Trolling (repeatedly intentionally getting a rise out of others) is unfortunately a constant issue on UkChat. It is now officially against the rules.
  • Moderators actions will be subject to administrative review. There will be more accountability within the moderation team. Moderators are chosen because we believe they have good judgment. The administration will occasionally review their actions to ensure this is the case.
  • Harassment of the moderators will not be permitted. Let's be clear about this one. Disagreeing with a moderator is not a bannable offense. Going on for 10 minutes about how stupid you think they are is. Moderators are volunteers and are doing their best to make this site work smoothly. They do the best they can and do not deserve this type of abuse.
Make members only to this site and also make I'd has a photo a must and to let it be more subjects open to only adults

Pink8

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
To make this site members only to have if Jone prof photos on your I'd chat! To have a o.k to some adult chats subjects and have a advice advice self help services to be able to click on with advice to keep safe when in chat u.know

B

Bad_Influence

To make this site members only to have if Jone prof photos on your I'd chat! To have a o.k to some adult chats subjects and have a advice advice self help services to be able to click on with advice to keep safe when in chat u.know

And everyone would post an honest photo of course???
As for the only adult thing, the sister site accommodates that surely?

rainallthetime

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
If we can't do away with the guest function, could what they can do be restricted at least? Most guest harassers go straight to PM or whispering.

Toria110485

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score

Here is what you can do:

I can honestly say I’ve always felt welcome even when I was a newbie xx

L

lucianthp

As someone who went to delete my account today after witnessing what I felt was an unnecessary ban, I'm pleased to see the (temporary) change of plan and it's nice to know the users here have been listened to; following from what I mentioned I'd welcome the idea for chatters to get a warning before an immediate ban; I know the terms of use are on the homepage but not everyone reads them (I mean, who scrolls through the t&c's after installing an app just to get to the 'agree' button to use it?).
On the subject of guests, I've looked at other chat sites and all of them have an option to try as a guest. To ask admin to ban guests it a ridiculous idea from a perspective of running a website that relies on users; I certainly wasn't going to sign up to every one, give my email address etc just to try the site. We all want to try before we commit to something after all. Besides, the majority of guests are pleasant enough to chat to.

Also, a quick question to admin (then I'll shut up) - this site has ads, so would it not help things if chatters clicked the ads just as a courtesy, to give the site some traffic (if that's the right word)? If so, maybe a little bit of text somewhere on the homescreen asking people using the site to click the ads to help keep the site running and free. I'll be honest I never have clicked ads here as I didn't think it was necessary but if it helps.

Apologies for the punctuation but I tried to put in just enough to annoy any SPAG nazis :-D

Briefencounter56

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
So pleased not closing. Many of us have made lots of great friends on here. One of the mods is now under impression they have to wait 10 mins before ban. This needs clarifying in 1 min people can cause chaos and great offence. Banning guests I thought that sounded good but as pointed out yah, my room, is now dead. The chatters need to support mods more not slag em off. They are bound to vary in tolerance. Support em. About a guest just coming straight back in I would have thought yu cud ban the IP address yes? If, as u often do get two arguing ban both. Well hope this site gets busier. Recommend to others please. I trust people have learned thier lesson

B

badly

Here is what you can do:

That.Moderators
Common sentiment but.. This will shrink the site, not grow it. Nobody is going to sign up just to see what the chat is like. All new users start as guests before they decide it's worth it to create an account. This isn't just a hunch - analytics back this up.
I feel too many use guests as an excuse.Too many would rather shout out obscenity's at unwanted pm's rather than simply using the block feature.
As for trolling on guests names i haven't not seen the chat mods deal with them quickly.
In my experience over a number of years it's by far the registered chatters and a few guests that have used that same guest name for a long time that cause the most trouble,the most arguements,the most fights.
This site like every site needs traffic to grow.If not it will die.
We're all in this because we like this site and its up to us to be friendlier.less antagonistic and do whatever we can to make it a decent place to chat.

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
The guest option is needed for chat to increase numbers.

People like to try before they buy.

Trolls will find a way whatever you do,

It's the way they are handled that's important.

Some guests are decent people.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Moderators actions will be subject to administrative review. There will be more accountability within the moderation team. Moderators are chosen because we believe they have good judgment.
You may very well think they'll be good mods, the right stuff! but you know what they say, to test a person's character - give them power. :rolleyes:

T

ToughType

I have no problem with anyone tbh, live and let live i just enjoy a laugh, so enjoy the chat, if your moody or looking for a fight Sihn off don't bother coming in chat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back