Making UkChat better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In order to survive, UkChat needs to change. WE NEED YOUR HELP. It's up to you, the chatters, to help make this site a better place. It can't be done with policy changes alone.

Here is what you can do:
  • Be friendly to guests. This is how new chatters view the site for the first time. If you ignore them they will leave, and then everyone misses out on the chance to make a new friend. We want this site to grow.
  • Avoid setting a hostile tone in public chat. If there is a lot of hostility going around do your best to break it up. Change the subject. Tell a good joke. Don't get baited in to it. The moderators cannot set the tone of chat - that is primarily up to the people chatting.
  • Don't feed the trolls. Related to above. There are people on this site who's only joy in life is attempting to get a rise out of other chatters. Don't fall for it and engage with them. If you see someone feeding a troll, PM them and explain why they should not engage.
  • Report ban evaders. If you know someone is banned and they have came back under a different name, please immediately report them.
  • Report rule breakers. If you believe someone is breaking the rules, click their name, and select report. Please be clear about what the issue is in the reason. Remember that moderators cannot read private messages, so without screenshots/proof they generally cannot act. If someone is harassing you in private try using the block function.

We are of course making some policy changes as well:
  • Cursing will be allowed. We realize this is controversial with some of the older chatters. It is not our intention to offend anyone's sensibilities but the truth is that times have changed and minor cursing is now considered acceptable in general conversation. This is not a free pass for people to go around hurling insults or otherwise intentionally offend others.
  • Minor sexual references will be allowed. See reasoning above.
  • Moderators will generally warn before banning. Chatters need to be given a chance to rectify their behavior before being banned. This rule obviously does not apply to spammers, ban evaders, etc.
  • Moderators will be given discretion to ban trolls. Trolling (repeatedly intentionally getting a rise out of others) is unfortunately a constant issue on UkChat. It is now officially against the rules.
  • Moderators actions will be subject to administrative review. There will be more accountability within the moderation team. Moderators are chosen because we believe they have good judgment. The administration will occasionally review their actions to ensure this is the case.
  • Harassment of the moderators will not be permitted. Let's be clear about this one. Disagreeing with a moderator is not a bannable offense. Going on for 10 minutes about how stupid you think they are is. Moderators are volunteers and are doing their best to make this site work smoothly. They do the best they can and do not deserve this type of abuse.

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GET RID OF GUESTS...MOST PROBLEMS SORTED THEN
Common sentiment but.. This will shrink the site, not grow it. Nobody is going to sign up just to see what the chat is like. All new users start as guests before they decide it's worth it to create an account. This isn't just a hunch - analytics back this up.

RogersDilemma

Conflicted by moral dilemma
Reaction score
GET RID OF GUESTS...MOST PROBLEMS SORTED THEN
I think you missed the import of the very first bullet point:
Be friendly to guests. This is how new chatters view the site for the first time. If you ignore them they will leave, and then everyone misses out on the chance to make a new friend. We want this site to grow.

RogersDilemma

Conflicted by moral dilemma
Reaction score
just a thought is there a way to give new guests a 30 day trial maybe :)
My view is that blaming guests for the toxic environment is really just clutching after straws - the YAH room banned guests and it did not become a better place to chat in ... if anything it simply died a death. The issue is an attitude one and I think Admin has a point ... we will do well to take each of those points to heart than trying to point fingers at other chatters ...

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I was under the impression that UKChat is closing soon. Please could you let me know what is happening as this place is the only escape I get from being a full time carer from my husband.Thanking you. MellowH

Hi MellowH. We spoke years ago (Fin, you remember me.!) :)

The site is not closing down. !

Just some adjustments are taking place. X :)

hugs

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
I was under the impression that UKChat is closing soon. Please could you let me know what is happening as this place is the only escape I get from being a full time carer from my husband.Thanking you. MellowH

I am also a carer and use this site as a link to the outside world. Being a carer is not easy and sites like these are needed for those that need them.

I have also been lucky using this site and found someone special or rather they found me. I would rather stay here on a site where I have got to know people. Hopefully it will remain open.

BlackMagicBabeXx

“Shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.”
Reaction score
It doesn't work that way....THINK ABOUT IT...

A guest gets a 30 day trial..Gets banned.

Opens ANOTHER NEW guest account...

It's not rocket science.

do away with the guest option make it so everyone has to become a full member.
and if they don't like the site then they can close their account...that's not rocket science either.

G

Greatscott

and if they don't like the site then they can close their account...that's not rocket science either.
but that wont get a high interest bmb what they mean is if everyone welcome guests like they do regulars then the site can grow how it should and be a nicer experience for all :)

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score

I like that idea too..But it will impact on numbers.

Reaction score
I think the problem with guests is that its easier for trolls that have been banned to come back, as someone else. Its hard to trust an guest. And is it guests that mostly pm female chatters with weird pm's or is it registered users that send these pm's too?

Samtastic

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
I know this idea is old ...but maybe if there was members only rooms ..oh nevermind ..it's just an idea that could be thought about in the future .. but saying that. ..these new changes hopefully will work out .. especially the NO TROLLING rule

G

Greatscott

I know this idea is old ...but maybe if there was members only rooms ..oh nevermind ..it's just an idea that could be thought about in the future .. but saying that. ..these new changes hopefully will work out .. especially the NO TROLLING rule
YAH is a guest free room

BlackMagicBabeXx

“Shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.”
Reaction score
but that wont get a high interest bmb what they mean is if everyone welcome guests like they do regulars then the site can grow how it should and be a nicer experience for all :)
are

I disagree but thats my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back