any green fingered gardeners on the site?

F

Faye_Daway

can anyone identify this thing i have got growing in the middle of my driveway? for the last few weeks it's grew and grew to the point I cant drive over it but have to go around it :rolleyes:....well we all have to do our bit for the planet:D.....its a pain in the ass being environmentally friendly :mad:..... can I transplant it to the garden while its in flower? or is it just a weed?
I asked a friend if it was a weed and her reply was a weed is something growing where you dont want something growing... very helpful :rolleyes:..... but by that definition it is a weed :(

flower - Copy.jpg

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
can anyone identify this thing i have got growing in the middle of my driveway? for the last few weeks it's grew and grew to the point I cant drive over it but have to go around it :rolleyes:....well we all have to do our bit for the planet:D.....its a pain in the ass being environmentally friendly :mad:..... can I transplant it to the garden while its in flower? or is it just a weed?
I asked a friend if it was a weed and her reply was a weed is something growing where you dont want something growing... very helpful :rolleyes:..... but by that definition it is a weed :(

View attachment 967
Thats called a 'grannys bonnet. Comes in all colours pretty little flower. not a weed they pop all over shop once u got one they seed themself quickly.

F

Faye_Daway

Thats called a 'grannys bonnet. Comes in all colours pretty little flower. not a weed they pop all over shop once u got one they seed themself quickly.
megs you are a darling a star thank you :)...... i can see why its called a grannys bonnet i googled it and was amazed by the colours that flower comes in.... thanks :)

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
megs you are a darling a star thank you :)...... i can see why its called a grannys bonnet i googled it and was amazed by the colours that flower comes in.... thanks :)
Its a country garden flower. i got lots here

LadyD19

UKChat Newbie
Reaction score
Love them, but they do grow in the most inappropriate places, if you can let it flower and die back then just dig it up and pop in in your garden on even a pot. They do well in most places, even in a shady spot. If you let the flower mature it will produce seed pods, collect them, let them dry then sprinkle the seeds in the garden. One of my favourite flowers, so many colours and combinations.

Hollie

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Aquilegia / Columbine also known as Granny's Bonnets. There about 70 different varieties and dozens and dozens of hybrids, all very hardy, many beautiful colours, reseed prolifically so once you got them they not easy to be rid of. but all lovely and great for bees. They thrive in direct sunlight right through to almost permanent shade so handy for any spot in the garden. They not that easy to transplant when adult size as they have long deep roots. when seedlings appear in spring, thin them out before they become to big else digging them out can be a pain :)

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Aquilegia / Columbine also known as Granny's Bonnets. There about 70 different varieties and dozens and dozens of hybrids, all very hardy, many beautiful colours, reseed prolifically so once you got them they not easy to be rid of. but all lovely and great for bees. They thrive in direct sunlight right through to almost permanent shade so handy for any spot in the garden. They not that easy to transplant when adult size as they have long deep roots. when seedlings appear in spring, thin them out before they become to big else digging them out can be a pain :)
mine self seed them selfs i let them get on with it lol .

Hollie

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
Weedol = Kills the flowers. No Flowers = Bee's die through lack of nectar. No bees = no pollination. No pollination = no crops. No crops = we starve. :(
Yep Weedol seems a really good option. :confused:
I prefer the harder option of digging weeds out and using things like Rhubarb leaves for selected control. :D
There are loads of options available to keep garden nice and none of them involve chemicals :)

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Weedal kills them :)
think we weedal you. weeds are flowers just in wrong place , like Hollie said we need all the plants weeds to for the bees and like.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Flowers are vividly coloured and scented for a good reason. Not just nice to look at.:)

Back