Forum Life

Is there life on this forum?

• No - there's more life in a tramp's vest the ship's sinking, man the lifeboats

• Yes - but only a few non-sentient life forms

• Brexit

Results are only viewable after voting.

franden

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
You,re as old as you feel.
Now for a serious discussion. It may have been discussed before I appeared on the scene. If it has then so be it.
Do you think, as I do, that the increase in knife crime is partly due to the video and computer games that are the 'in' thing today. Almost every game I have seen or seen children playing on the play stations is about having to kill someone to win.

B

Bad_Influence

You,re as old as you feel.
Now for a serious discussion. It may have been discussed before I appeared on the scene. If it has then so be it.
Do you think, as I do, that the increase in knife crime is partly due to the video and computer games that are the 'in' thing today. Almost every game I have seen or seen children playing on the play stations is about having to kill someone to win.

While I don't think the video games help, I believe the blame lies mainly at the feet of the parents and those who have prevented the police and schools from meting out any sort of punishment that could act as a deterrent. As a society we are too soft on kids today, and the kids know they can get away with being feral as even if charged, they will get a weeks holiday to 'build self esteem' or simply told not to do it again.
In general, parents don't do any parenting anymore. They expect others to bring up their kids (the problem of self entitled kids having kids?) and then scream that 'nobody helps' when their offspring cause trouble.
I have no doubt that there are troubled youngsters out there with legitimate medical conditions, but we are too quick to label a child as 'autistic' when in reality it's just bad behaviour. Nobody can tell me that a bit of REAL discipline wouldn't put the majority of these autistic kids on the straight and narrow. (Again, I'm not suggesting there aren't legitimate cases, only that as a society we are too quick to take the easy way out, which only serves to pass the problem down the line)
As a society we are too soft. The liberals (some would say snowflakes) have caused a situation where everyone is offended by everything and can make money out of that faux-chagrin.
Is there a cure? I don't believe so. I honestly think humanity is a lost cause, and the sooner mother nature reclaims control of the planet the better.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
While I don't think the video games help, I believe the blame lies mainly at the feet of the parents and those who have prevented the police and schools from meting out any sort of punishment that could act as a deterrent. As a society we are too soft on kids today, and the kids know they can get away with being feral as even if charged, they will get a weeks holiday to 'build self esteem' or simply told not to do it again.
In general, parents don't do any parenting anymore. They expect others to bring up their kids (the problem of self entitled kids having kids?) and then scream that 'nobody helps' when their offspring cause trouble.
I have no doubt that there are troubled youngsters out there with legitimate medical conditions, but we are too quick to label a child as 'autistic' when in reality it's just bad behaviour. Nobody can tell me that a bit of REAL discipline wouldn't put the majority of these autistic kids on the straight and narrow. (Again, I'm not suggesting there aren't legitimate cases, only that as a society we are too quick to take the easy way out, which only serves to pass the problem down the line)
As a society we are too soft. The liberals (some would say snowflakes) have caused a situation where everyone is offended by everything and can make money out of that faux-chagrin.
Is there a cure? I don't believe so. I honestly think humanity is a lost cause, and the sooner mother nature reclaims control of the planet the better.

Well said and I couldn't agree more. When I was a lad I knew Discipline. There were always consequences to being 'Naughty'. In School, I got the Slipper and the Cane a few times....on one occasion, i even got the rough end of a Cricket Bat, form a P.E Teacher.! (All because my 'Plimsolls' weren't 'White' enough.!!).

Okay Violence doesn't solve very much, agreed...but 'Corporal Punishment' was expected and it did actually achieve something for the benefit of the good.

Quoting 'MrBad' above..."parents don't do any parenting anymore. They expect others to bring up their kids (the problem of self entitled kids having kids?) and then scream that 'nobody helps' when their offspring cause trouble."

Yeah, these days 'some' Parents don't even learn there kids how to read or write..or even use the toilet properly !..they expect someone else to do it for them.!!

Before I went to the 'Infant's school'..,I.E..Before I was 5 years old..I could Read and Write and I knew how to use the Toilet...!

I think the blame lie's 50/50.... with the Parent's and with 'Modern Society law's'.

B.T.W. If 'Mother Nature' wasn't so abruptly stopped in her tracks by an Asteroid...Mother Nature and the Dinosaurs would rule this Planet. :)

B

Bad_Influence

Mother Nature would have improved on the dinosaurs by now and while I do believe intelligent life is a natural progression for evolution to take, whether the would have led to humans is something we'll never know. Survival of the fittest will always happen, and in 2m years we really might be like the Toclafane from Dr Who... just a brain in a metal box with telepathic abilities. Before that though, AI will probably wipe us out so job done.
We have gone wildly off-topic though :eek:

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Mother Nature would have improved on the dinosaurs by now and while I do believe intelligent life is a natural progression for evolution to take, whether the would have led to humans is something we'll never know. Survival of the fittest will always happen, and in 2m years we really might be like the Toclafane from Dr Who... just a brain in a metal box with telepathic abilities. Before that though, AI will probably wipe us out so job done.
We have gone wildly off-topic though :eek:

Wildly off topic?..Well life is Life...So it does kinda fit in.

A.I. is the worrying part about our future.

But nothing and no one can stop the 'Few' that own 99.99% of the worlds wealth who are behind A.I.

Starving children, food banks...IN THE UK?...

All planned.;)

Poco_Loco

✪ Administrator
Reaction score
I used to enjoy a Steak n Cheese melt on a stick @ Subway -
They just don't seem to be the tasty love Stick they used to be anymore .....

Where did it all go wrong .....

Cloning is an issue.
Cloning allows everyone to be Gay and happy and all that stuff.
Deffo not Queer,
I don't use that word.

What was the poll about ?
are you a Class A user ?

W

Wren

Figure , watching my fluffy cat stalk a bird

Yea survival of the brightest , or quickest , not sure

Something in there about knowledge and its instinct to survive

:)

By the way , she's got no chance its a elder , fatter than a turkey :p

B

Bad_Influence

Wildly off topic?..Well life is Life...So it does kinda fit in.

A.I. is the worrying part about our future.

But nothing and no one can stop the 'Few' that own 99.99% of the worlds wealth who are behind A.I.

Starving children, food banks...IN THE UK?...

All planned.;)

While I don't commit to the conspiracy theory that Starvation and food banks were 'planned', I do believe that there are reasons nothing has been done to solve the problem and that the 'few' gain both power and money by maintaining the disunity of the general public. That's the thing with conspiracy theories, some believe everything, some believe only parts. Like everything in life, people will always presume the extremes even with no evidence to back it up, and use the more 'middle-of-the-road' theory which they CAN prove to justify their trust in the outrageous.

As for AI, the few that control the tech are under just as much threat as the rest of us, they are just too arrogant to see it. They believe they will always have control but I can't see how that could be the case. If AI evolves in any way similar to human intelligence, we fill be faced with a 'species' who not only have the computing power to 'see a better way', but also the technology to make it happen. And I very much doubt their view of the future will include humanity.

(And it's not off topic, I thought this was the 'Alien Life' thread... my mistake. :eek: )

Back