Cornish history 2

Reaction score
Being Cornish I obviously have mining in my blood but these days I doubt many people know of the dangers around the industry. I've come across stories before, I might start listing a few here, thats the ones I can find.

This one seems to have been digitalised slightly iffy, and its a bit gory.

Fatal Accident at Carn Brea Mines. —We have very pain having to announce the occurrence of an accident at these mines, attended with loss of life to one the miners, and very serious bodily injuries to a great many others; besides destruction of property variously estimated from 8001. 1,0001., The principal part of which loss will fall, we understand, upon the labouring men.
There was large shed on the mine, in which the men change their clothes previous going under ground, and again when they leave work. The apartment was about 150 feet long and 12 feet wide, within the walls; but as there was a row of lockers, or cupboards, each side of about two feet In depth, the shed was narrowed to eight There were nearly 400 of these cupboards, in which the miners locked up their wearing apparel, tools, candles, and powder. On Wednesday morning, ; about forty or fifty men were in the place, preparing for going under ground, when a young man the name of John Waters whose locker was very near the door, was pouring out gunpowder from a quarter of a hundred cask into a small canister, which he was to carry underground, His candle, which he had stuck upon the iron pipe above him, fell, or dropped a spark upon the powder, and produced a terrible explosion. Waters appears to have been shattered so much that when his remains were collected it was only from the certainty that no other person was missing that they could be known to be his.
His lather, who had been standing near him. was also so much injured by the explosion, that it is doubtful he would live to reach his home in Crowan Church-town, where he was immediately removed. The explosion appears to have set the lockers on both sides of the house instantly in blaze ; and as there was distributed among them upwards of 10 cwt. of gunpowder, and a very large quantity of candles, the flames spread rapidly, occasioning a constant succession explosions, which might be seen for several miles around. Several of the men in endeavoring to escape were terribly mutilated . West Britain .

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
We have history in Yorkshire too. Here's a pic of speedwell Cavern. It's in a place called 'Castleton'...Just on the border with South yorkshire and Derbishire.
castleton07big1.jpg

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Here's pic of the tunnels inside...You can only get to them by boat...The miners used Dynamite to blast their way through.!!

speedwell-cavern41.jpg

Reaction score
Mines are underestimated and undervalued, today they're more valued for the land they're on as then they can be classed as brownfield. I don't like the idea of concreting mines over and forgetting them when people died in those mines, some people still down them. I'll start posting some pics too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is the Red River that runs through the mining districts and served as a drain for the mines to pump their waters into, picture was probably around the 1970'd date.
29433199_10211862925033324_30752921yt1736778927_n.jpg

Reaction score
This was the air compressor needed to power the pneumatic tools in the 3000ft deep Dolcoath mine, you can just make out the guy standing behind centre bottom. Most of the equipment needed for the mines, such as this compressor, was made nearby in the same town.

MIdol054.jpg

Reaction score
The pumps needed for the mines were big too, heres the piston cylinder needed for one.

MIcbr052.jpg

Reaction score
Then underground we have the pipework and clack valves needed for the pumps.

MIcbr003.jpg

Reaction score
The pump engines needed up to five boilers to run.

MIbas030.jpg

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Mines are underestimated and undervalued, today they're more valued for the land they're on as then they can be classed as brownfield. I don't like the idea of concreting mines over and forgetting them when people died in those mines, some people still down them. I'll start posting some pics too.

Good stuff matey. History like this should never be forgot.

Reaction score
A lot of effort, thinking and ingenuity went into it, we used to have a tramline here but when that shut they resorted to an aerial tramway.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
I will die knowing this man...I was not alone..;)

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score

Don't juggle about with Flash words boy?...Haha,,;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
No health and safety as such but they usually took care of themselves and their families.

yttyyt.jpg

Back