White Poppy

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
At this time of year to remember and support British Armed Forces we're obliged to wear a red poppy. I would like you to consider wearing a white poppy, either instead of or alongside a red one. The white poppy symbolises remembrance for all victims of war, not just military personnel. It also stands for peace and the belief that war should not be celebrated or glamourised. Thank you.

NightOwl65

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
At this time of year to remember and support British Armed Forces we're obliged to wear a red poppy. I would like you to consider wearing a white poppy, either instead of or alongside a red one. The white poppy symbolises remembrance for all victims of war, not just military personnel. It also stands for peace and the belief that war should not be celebrated or glamourised. Thank you.

The red poppy is worn in recognition and remembrance of those that fought and died for our freedom, it does not celebrate or glamourise war at all.

Money collected by the Royal British Legion from the sales of Poppies goes to help those servicemen and women that are injured either physically or psychologically by warfare encountered in their line of duty, something that our Government sadly neglects..

I think to suggest that a white poppy is worn instead of a RBL red one shows deep disrespect to those that have given up their lives, limbs and mental wellbeing in service to their country and countrymen alike..

As for being obliged to wear one, total nonsense, they are worn by those of us who choose to in recognition of the sacrifices they made.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score

The red poppy is worn in recognition and remembrance of ALL those that fought and died for our freedom,
Recent times or hundreds of years ago.

NightOwl65

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
The red poppy is worn in recognition and remembrance of ALL those that fought and died for our freedom,
Recent times or hundreds of years ago.

Doesn't it make you sad that some are so ill informed, by that i mean original poster not you megs x

L

lucylockett

If it wasn’t for those brave people we would be probably speaking German and god knows how horrific this world would be ! I can’t even bring my to comment on her ridiculous post. Some of those brave people we have lost are my family and friends ! They deserve to be remembered and honoured !

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bad_Influence

This is typical of modern life. Some people hijack a worthy cause and turn it into something they deem to be politically correct. It pisses me off that the Red Poppy is being demonised and is now seen as glamouring war.

NightOwl65

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
This is typical of modern life. Some people hijack a worthy cause and turn it into something they deem to be politically correct. It pisses me off that the Red Poppy is being demonised and is now seen as glamouring war.

I had my say and even tried to educate the ill informed, I fear it will fail to make an impact as some have been so brainwashed by the PC brigade they are beyond all help.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I take the point made above that the red poppy is being demonised by the PC brigade but I've also seen it being used by politicians to bolster support for military action in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya. Some are just taking the piss because reading online I see you can now get rainbow coloured poppies to remember LGBT casualties of war and you can get black poppies to..yes you've guessed it..remember black casualties. Now to me, this is just bastardising the whole poppy appeal.
The Royal British Legion state that the red poppy is worn to show support for the Armed Forces. It has nothing to do with civilian deaths caused by war. That's where the white poppy differs - it is a symbol of remembrance for ALL casualties of war. It covers everyone.

NightOwl65

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
You say that various coloured poppies used " bastardise the whole poppy appeal", yet you STILL promote the wearing of a white poppy, how hypocritical is that .

Why hijack the Poppy and Remembrance Day to make a point. Do you know why red poppies are used as a symbol of remembrance? The significance of the dates? Who collects money from sales and what is done with it?

Lobby for your own day and symbol of remembrance for all casualties of war if you feel that strongly about it.To suggest that anything other than the red poppy is worn is an insult to all those who served and sacrificed, both living and dead.

Can i suggest a white dove or similar, maybe even a teardrop as a symbol. The whole changing of the colour of the poppy sickens me and just shows how uneducated, arrogant, ungrateful and disrespectful some in our society are

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I will a wear a red poppy with pride ,, In remembrance of my own father and cousin who both served in forces.

NightOwl65

UKChat Expert
Reaction score
I will a wear a red poppy with pride ,, In remembrance of my own father and cousin who both served in forces.

Same here megs, my Dad was Royal Navy, I lost a childhood friend in the Falklands and have ancestors that fought and died in both World Wars.

Shame on those that think we should do otherwise

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I have a permanent, bejewelled, beautiful red poppy for wearing this time of year on outerwear and I would be ashamed not to wear one. I am also very aware of the need to buy a paper one (or more!) EVERY year for indoors at work, with that year displayed on it, because the Royal British Legion NEEDS our support and money every year. I love how well you have written above, Megs and Owlie and I can't echo your messages any clearer than already done. My man was Army; my Great Uncle John is lost somewhere in Israel forever. My poppy will never be rainbow, striped, spotted, green, purple or white. It will be red. I know what it means.

LadyOnArooftop

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
I've cracked it! WHITE for the snowflakes! That's what it is! They have to have something for themselves. They have to.
The implication is that I'm a snowflake just because I prefer flowers to weapons? Well that's what I inferred from that Alan Partridge-esque comment. Please don't debase my posting, I have the right to an opinion. You may not agree with someone's views but please respect their right to air them. Never get personal to support your argument, don't make cheap cracks - knowing me knowing you are better than that. aha!

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
The implication is that I'm a snowflake just because I prefer flowers to weapons? Well that's what I inferred from that Alan Partridge-esque comment. Please don't debase my posting, I have the right to an opinion. You may not agree with someone's views but please respect their right to air them. Never get personal to support your argument, don't make cheap cracks - knowing me knowing you are better than that. aha!
Noooo... you didn't create the white poppy! This has been around for a while now and I DO prefer its implication to images of weaponry and death. Those who want to REPLACE the red with the white (this was last year's news story) can absolutely get knotted. THEY are the snowflakes; it was originally because the red's message was too brutal and too close to the truth of what happened. What happened happened and we remember it how we do.

I actually thought the white poppy was more to do with peace in the future and how we should aim for that as well as remembering worse times. If it is used for that purpose, then I am in support.

I would never debase. I don't think I have ever directly insulted anyone on here nor attacked an individual. Once it gets to that level, I tend to stay quiet.

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
""""knowing me knowing you are better than that.""" aha! was not aha it was abba.

supercookie123

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
""""knowing me knowing you are better than that.""" aha! was not aha it was abba.
...Twas a reference to Alan Partridge and his catchphrase 'Aha!' and chat show, 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' methinks.

B

Bad_Influence

And THAT is why there are so few female comedians on TV. :D:D:p:p:p:p:p:p

Back