Gender these days?

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
What do you make of the Gender issues today?

Boy thinks he's a Girl...Girl think's she's a Boy...Why? all of a sudden?!!

T

thecakelady

It can be very confusing.

Surely a person's gender is defined by their physical body parts; their sexuality may not be typical of , nor compatible with their physical gender, but for most people it will be within 'acceptable' limits for most people to be defined as male or female.

It is absolutely normal for a child to go through a phase of being 'gender neutral' or of preferring the company of other people of the same sex to play with . The same children mostly turn out to be heterosexual in adulthood. Children and teenagers have enough to contend with, without having to worry about which of the alleged 13+ gender categories they fall into. Let children be children, let them all play with 'boys toys' and 'girls toys'. Encourage them to be confident and happy and tolerant of others. Leave all the gender identification stuff until they are mature enough to make their own decisions.
Why does everyone need to be labelled as belonging to a particular group anyway? Everyone is unique in their own way - why can't people accept that and say ," This is me . I am who I am"?

Jude99

UKChat Initiate
Reaction score
Chat rooms may have been the cause of this as some chatters have no idea what gender they are or what nick-name they have chosen, they change all the time.
Not mentioning any names lol. :rolleyes:

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Gender is less to do with biology an more to do with social stereotypes. Sexuality is inbuilt to who we are but it can change I think. Forty years ago if you didn't like football you were not a man or assumed as gay. We live in a more enlightened society where these constraints are being eroded.. thank God in my opinion! It seems to me the word gender has less and less meaning.
Am I gay.. No. Do I have a penis..Yes. Am I male .. Hell No!
mmmm your not male then ? lol

megs233

UKChat Celebrity
Reaction score
Chat rooms may have been the cause of this as some chatters have no idea what gender they are or what nick-name they have chosen, they change all the time.
Not mentioning any names lol. :rolleyes:

How on earth can you blame chat sites/rooms. ??
Its in your biological make up ,
i do begin to wonder about you .

T

thecakelady

This is very well written but I find it quite wrong. Gender is not defined by biology it is a construct of society. Any society will label people and we would be failing our children if we did not make then aware of this. How can we make them confident if we do not encourage them to face up to being judged// I agree everyone is unique and should say "I am who I am". That is very valid.
Please note I do not wish to imply that anyone is failing their children. I say this from a social viewpoint.

That's why i made the distinction between gender and sexual orientation. We are born with different body parts, which initially defines whether we are boy or girl . Our sexual orientation is , as you quite rightly say, influenced by society. Yes people will be labelled by others Ideally, parents and adults should encourage children to understand that labels are not necessarily an accurate reflection of the total person.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

thecakelady

ok, maybe i've muddled up the words. What I meant was that we are born with certain body bits that identify us physically as 'boy' or 'girl'. Although there are probably some other innate features (intellectually based? hormonal? I don't know) which may lead us to identify with different groups,how we develop from there is more based on environmental factors.

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Some good discussion here. But no one has answered the question 'Why' and 'All of a sudden'.!

I'm 53 years old. When i was a kid growing up in the 70's we didn't see this.

We never 'Knew' of any 'Transgender' people.!

I have nothing against transgender people at all.

Just why Now, and why so many?

Altair

Web Master
Reaction score
Say....Spiderbloke....Me and Thee having a pint down pub...I suddenly say to you I want to be a woman...How would you take that?..

Back